How do you make a 3d game engine?

Started by
4 comments, last by 49studebaker 23 years ago
I''m 15 and know a lot of C++, Basic, and currenty learning Pascal and Open GL. Could anyone tell me how to write, well basically tell me what books to read, or what websites to go, to find out how to make a very simple 3D enigine, or 2D engine in C++. Thanks, CH
Advertisement
Well there are a couple of good books out on 3d rendering none realy go into "Game Engine Design" though a few have that name. The main books I''d suggest would be "Advanced 3d game programming with direct x 7" Although the book deals specificaly with Direct3d it has alot of background information which you will need to know before diving in any deeper. Another good book is "Real Time Rendering". This book doesn''t show any code only algo''s you can use which is extremly beneficial. These are the books I''d suggest to get started with you can broaden your knowledge base after reading both of them.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Be sure to brush up on your geometry, and advanced algebra. Other math is usefull, but these are a must.

HHSDrum@yahoo.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
You need a few basics. First, a map type of thing - a big polygon list representing your virtual world. If you can come up with a format/exporter for this, that will aid you significantly. Next, you need some form of camera control. That''s it for the basics, just start throwing in extra stuff like user interaction/physics models, etc
And of course map/character drawing code
"3D Game Engine Design" by David H. Eberly. - Great book, with LOADS of really useful stuff in it, Eberly has 2 PhD''s though, so don''t expect to rush through it, and make sure you have achieved god-level maths before reading it.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
You are just atarting out and you wanna make an engine? Good luck! You need to start small bro... Get Lamothe''s book. "Tips and tricks of teh game Programming Gurus" It is a great book for beginners ( but is by no means the ''perfect book'' ) It beats all others in this area...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement