Book Of DM139 Chapter 2: I see dead people

Started by
13 comments, last by DarkMage139 23 years, 1 month ago
As I mentioned in Chapter 1, I recently played ADOM. While adventuring, I noticed something I had never seen before in any RPG. Corpses. When you killed something, it sometimes left a corpse behind. Though it may seem sick (who wants to see that decapitated goblin), it's actually a brilliant idea. Corpses are useful for a lot of things in a game: 1. Eating them (though you probably should cook them first) 2. Sacrificing them (nes8bit's hobby) 3. Decorating your house (sick) I remember that in Daggerfall (I played the demo), you could search corpses for stuff. So why can't we do more imaginative things with corpses (no not that, you perverts)? Any thoughts? - DarkMage139 (Neokatana Software) GDT Underground Info Release Date: "When hell freezes over" (a.k.a. A very long time from now) Genre: Action/Adventure Platform: Windows 98, OpenGL and DirectX Status: [working on the engine] l337ness: TOTALLY l337 Edited by - DarkMage139 on March 17, 2001 11:35:39 PM
- DarkMage139
Advertisement
Carve ''em up for spell components (eye of newt, tongue of frog)
quote:DarkMage139

l337ness: TOTALLY l337

Wow. For a minute there I was in doubt over the 1337ness of your project, but now my faith has been restored!

I like the anon''s idea though.
- Giving them to monsters to eat instead of you.
- Using them to barricade doors/corridors.
- Skinning them to sell for money.
- Smearing yourself with the blood (one type at a time) to get dumber monsters (which rely primarily on scent) to ignore you.
- Booby trap them so other monsters/players get a nasty surprise.
- Eviscerate them where they lie and read the entrails in some sort of fortune ritual (magic-mapping, reveal objects, nothing, etc.)

Eating them is good (I first saw this in Nethack), which allows you to eat them raw, but depending on the type or age/decay, you can get food-poisioning. Smoking or cooking them for rations is better, and this would be an excellent skill to include. Dependant on your skill, you could salvage more from older corpses, make them more appetising and last longer.

- Put the corpses as if they were doing their duty.
- Some will want to see the head in order to pay the reward.
- I remember a book where people would be paid a gold piece for each ear of a specific kind of people (though I guess you can gather ears on living people, better have the head then...)
- Use them for object lessons, like rows after rows of stacked body...
- Something with refusing to negociate by sending back the corpse of the messenger would be cool too (Bad habits I know...)
- Animate them zombie like (already done I think)

Edited by - DungeonMaster on March 18, 2001 2:14:21 PM
------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
Take ur hand and shove it into the corpse''s mouth then pull out it''s skeleton leaving the exterior structureless as the skin falls to the ground. Hhehe, FATALITY. Not really usefull but it looks cool.
Dude1:Look at this!Dude2:Ugh! That's disgusting.Dude1:Its art!Dude2: Its your puke.Dude1:Its abstract art,dammit!
Stealth mode:

Moving unconscious guards out of the way of guard patrols.
Hehee, youre all sickos!

but seriously, corpses offer a lot of possibilites....

skins, claws, fur, teeth..... all for sale at the local market.
and other components (as mentionend for spells, potions and whatnot). Or possibly for decorative purposes... (i´m not exactly thinking ear necklace but more along the lines of claws and teeth...), maybe take the stuff to a goldsmith to make your freshly pulled wyvern teeth into decorative ear clips?

or make weapons out of stuff? A dragons claw would make a neat dagger, a morning star made out of an orc skull would probably have a morale impact whenever fighting orcs....

and personally I´m all for trophies.... maybe instead of a kill list each player would carry an "earbook" or something like that (please disregard, mightily tasteless)

and then there´s all kinds of uses for human bodies.... maybe the family of a deceased wants his corpse for burial, the rivalling clan wants the head, the witch the feet....

Ever heard of Dragon Scale armor?
What was that thing merrick/morefe said in tiberia.

It was somthing about how an AI ate the corpse of her dead husband, because it was nolonger her husband, just a corpse.

A greater care must be taken of who the corpse belongs to...

I think using it for spells and stuff is a great idea. In diablo 2, barbarians were able to get potions from corpses... while I think this was handled badly, but I didn''t like D2 anyway.

an intresting idea would be to have a creature/player kill somthing and then use the corpse in a spell, so they became like they looked like the deciesed, and could do all sorts of cool stuff.

ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Visit Tiberia: it''s bigger, it''s badder, it''s pouyer...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement