Character model animation in D3D

Started by
6 comments, last by GeVoodoo 23 years, 1 month ago
I am new to 3d game programming and i made a character in Character Studio 2 and applied Walking bip file animation to it.How can i import this animation in an X file so my character appears to walk. If this cannot be done then how do I get the character mesh to animate??
Advertisement
There is a little known exporter that can be found at the microsoft site (unfortunately, i dont know the url or the name of the exporter) that converts 3dsmax character studio files into x files, which can be loaded into directx.

However, the question you ask could take a book to answer completely. . . see all of the posts about skinned meshes and how so many people are having difficulties with them.

I suggest starting with something simpler, as even grizzled vets are not understanding the .x files used for skinned meshes.

If you really want to learn how to do character animations learn about: 1) Vertex and Index Buffers 2) Flexible Vertex Formats 3) Rendering using DrawIndexedPrimitive 4) Matrix Palettes 5) Milkshape3d file format (relatively easy as compared to .max files.)

Character animation in game rendering is an advanced topic. if you are just starting, you will probably find it very difficult. Cry, Sit up, Walk, Run, Fly, Soar, get sucked into some 747's intake.

DmGoober

Edited by - DmGoober on March 18, 2001 11:52:55 PM
Alexander "DmGoober" Jhinalexjh@online.microsoft.com[Warning! This email account is not attended. All comments are the opinions of an individual employee and are not representative of Microsoft Corporation.]
the converter dmgoober is talking about is conv3ds.exe. look in your dxutil folder under xfiles. try winconv3ds (get it online somewhere) if u dont like the dos interface. use -t option to make file into text and explore the layout using notepad. you''ll see some texure info, settings, and alot of coordinates. good luck in finding tutorials or info about animating using .x files in dx8 though. i wish someone could do tutorial about it instead of the simple stuff. oh well, there are a bunch of different ways to do animation and maybe i''ll put up a tutorial once i get it working and after i fix my lighting engine.
If I''m not mistaken, there is also an export plugin at 3dmax.com, called DirectX Exporter.
The site says that (quote) "This program offers the function to export X file for Direct3D. It includes the information about mesh, material, texture and node hierarchy."

It''s for Max 3.1 but I''m sure there is a plugin for other versions too on the official web site.
I alredy tried out conv3ds.exe but it does not export animations applied through biped (.bip) to the .X file.
Try a 3DSMax plugin called the Flexporter...

www.codercorner.com/flexporter.htm

It exports Character Studio 2.2 info, as well as mesh, texture, etc.. data into a nice - WELL DOCUMENTED - format

BrianH
There is also and exporter on the MS site (that''s the one i was talking about) but flexporter sounds better (specially since its actually, gasp, documented unlike most of directx.
DmGoober
Alexander "DmGoober" Jhinalexjh@online.microsoft.com[Warning! This email account is not attended. All comments are the opinions of an individual employee and are not representative of Microsoft Corporation.]
Here is a link for the X plugin for max

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/code/topic.asp?URL=/msdn-files/028/000/114/topic.xml

click on "DirectX 8.0 Partial SDK Downloads" and then look for "Direct3D XFile Exporters"... it also conatins a plugin for Maya.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement