RPG music...

Started by
48 comments, last by stenny 17 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by anthemaudio
Damn it Ryan, I don't have time for this.

You have single handedly made me fire up my emmelator and play ffvi through again and I know I don't have time for that.

Damn you. Good job.

Tony

Despite the fact that you are probably joking, That is TIGHT!

Thank you Tony.

Ryan
Advertisement
Want me to post screenshots?

About the music specifically, very good. Some of the more chaotic layers of chord/chord progressions in there sound more accidental than implied, but it works all the same. What it sounds like is actually mish mash of a larger theme that may be occuring throughout the game? Like the, twisted, flip-side, something is horribly amiss version of the main theme. That's what I get anyways.

The only thing that sucks... is that I don't have a gamepad where I'm at currently. I'm getting used to the damn keyboard controls but...well anyways...

Tony
Quote:Original post by anthemaudio
Want me to post screenshots?
Of you or Final Fantasy VI? At any rate, no thanks...I'll take your word on that. :)

Quote:Original post by anthemaudioSome of the more chaotic layers of chord/chord progressions in there sound more accidental than implied, but it works all the same.
Most of the applied dissonance was for contrast. Hopefully its doesn't feel out of place next to the more consonant passages. Thanks for letting me know about this.

Quote:Original post by anthemaudioWhat it sounds like is actually mish mash of a larger theme that may be occuring throughout the game? Like the, twisted, flip-side, something is horribly amiss version of the main theme. That's what I get anyways.
Yes! This track does utilize a subliminal version of the motif. The intro theme features a variation of this theme as well, albeit in a different key and sequence. I hope it all works together when its all said and done.

Quote:Original post by anthemaudioThe only thing that sucks... is that I don't have a gamepad where I'm at currently. I'm getting used to the damn keyboard controls but...well anyways...
Bummer. Maybe Santa can put one in your stocking.

Thanks Tony

Merry Christmas!

Ryan
Are you EQing each instrument individually?

And as far as instruments not working well together, one thing you can do is run each instrument through a scream distortion (usually tube or tape) and turn the distortion down, then tweak them so they each sound well together. It gives them all a similar feel while maintaining their distinctions.

Or, and this is hard to pull off, you can devote an instrument entirely to reverb and apply it to each lead instrument. So, for example, you use a simple piano, and run it through a reverb so that it only has the reverb, no initial note strike. Then you layer it with each instrument that plays a melody (and make it subtle) so that each instrument has the same kind of "glow" if that makes sense.
Quote:Original post by Funkymunky
Are you EQing each instrument individually?
Yes, though I do a majority of my equing after allocating specific instrument bundles into audio tracks. (ie such as audio bundles of winds, percussion, strings, etc.)

Quote:Original post by FunkymunkyAnd as far as instruments not working well together, one thing you can do is run each instrument through a scream distortion (usually tube or tape) and turn the distortion down, then tweak them so they each sound well together. It gives them all a similar feel while maintaining their distinctions.
No kidding? Using a scream patch for something other than distortion? Interesting thought! I will have to try that out. As it stands, I am fairly pleased with the EQ'ing given the instrument sampling. I am afraid that the real sound problem lies with the quality of the samples, which don't sound very good in a clear setting. Hence the ridiculous amount of reverb to cover the seams and what not. I will be upgrading my setup shortly to make use of some high quality samples so we'll see how that goes. :)

Quote:Original post by Funkymunky Then you layer it with each instrument that plays a melody (and make it subtle) so that each instrument has the same kind of "glow" if that makes sense.
Not quite! :[
New piece!

I am using a different sampling set with this piece. It is actually utilizing East West Platinum.

String Quartet

Comments appreciated!

Thanks,

Ryan

Hmmm, I'll be honest. I didn't like this one as much as I wanted to. I liked the initial melody (at first I couldn't understand why this song was called "action") but it seemed to fall apart when the beat came in. Personally, I would rather have liked to hear the strings begin to take on more... "structure" a bit before the beat started. Instead it just sounded rather conflicting. That may just be me though ;)

As far as balancing and mastering: it didn't seem to have much in common with your earlier piece, especially with instrument choice. The lead strings just tore right through everything else with a very harsh sound. And I could tell too easily that many of the instruments were coming from my speakers right in front of me rather than from a seemingly omnipresent source. That last one always seems to separate professional from hobbyist works.

Keep at it though, I liked the melody a lot.
Thank you. :) I appreciate your comments. It seems that I've got quite a long way to go.

As far 'omnipresent source' goes, can you kind of explain what you mean by that? I feel that this could be a good opportunity to learn something. I think the spatial qualities of my mixes don't utilize the full stereo field and perhaps I can get some help with terminology and application and...well all that good stuff.

Thanks Lack of Comments...again your name has me perplexed. :)
Again, I don't have any sort real education or training in this stuff so I tend to make up words as I go [grin]

By "omnipresent' I was trying to convey a sense of space and direction. As I said before, I can simply close my eyes and listen to the music and by doing so, pinpoint the fact that it is being generated by the speakers in front of me. What tends to sound better is when the listener cannot associate the speakers with generating the source of sound, but rather it seems as if the music exists within the room. Does that make sense?

I listened again, more closely this time, to the melody. I really think that shortly after you start the beat that the strings should fade out a little (so you can better hear the rest) and perhaps a wind instrument of some kind should bring a more structured and faster paced version of that theme into the song. It would help the listener stay with the bass and beat and keep a sense of energy. Again, that's just my personal preference so feel free to ignore or adapt.
on that second one i really don't like the strings used from the beginning and throughout. They are too whiny. too much midrange.

Also, the drums and bass should pop out much more than they do (especially the drums) and it doesn't sound right because the strings are too long and drawn out for the tempo of the drums.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement