Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lord_Lumpi

Please help me getting started

I´m very new to programming and I would like to know what you suggest to get deeper into it and develop great skill. Would like to raise my skills as fast as possible. Goals I want to achieve are: being able to write a state of the art 3d engine and all you need to make a complete game. Don´t need artificial intelligence programming. What info do I need on the technical side of 3d accelerators and hardware and where do I get it? Sure sounds utopian, but please don´t just laugh at me and click back - please give me thy best recommendations. Thx

if u want to learn win32 join a group(join a group for anything)
Sam''s learn C++ in 21 days is pretty good

he he

I would suggest that you learned a programming language first, if you don''t already know one, like C/C++. When you figured out the language I would suggest you would learn an API like DirectX or OpenGL, after you played around with that for a while, you could go on an try to create your own 3D engine...

anyway, good luck

I posted somehow confusing sorry for that.

The problem is, I posted this for a friend of mine. He did some programming but not really much c++(think he read sams 21 days).
He did some Visual Basic in school and some years ago Pascal and I don´t know exactly at what level he´s at in general. Think he´s a pretty smart brain but he doesn´t know how to start.
But I can´t help him caus´ all I know about programming is some C++ I had in class and that were just really simple things. I´m also an art guy and no progger.

I just thought I´d ask people who know what to do, so I can give him some advices on books, cause he asked me to keep my eyes open for good sources.