Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help me getting started

This topic is 6114 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I´m very new to programming and I would like to know what you suggest to get deeper into it and develop great skill. Would like to raise my skills as fast as possible. Goals I want to achieve are: being able to write a state of the art 3d engine and all you need to make a complete game. Don´t need artificial intelligence programming. What info do I need on the technical side of 3d accelerators and hardware and where do I get it? Sure sounds utopian, but please don´t just laugh at me and click back - please give me thy best recommendations. Thx

he he

I would suggest that you learned a programming language first, if you don''t already know one, like C/C++. When you figured out the language I would suggest you would learn an API like DirectX or OpenGL, after you played around with that for a while, you could go on an try to create your own 3D engine...

anyway, good luck

I posted somehow confusing sorry for that.

The problem is, I posted this for a friend of mine. He did some programming but not really much c++(think he read sams 21 days).
He did some Visual Basic in school and some years ago Pascal and I don´t know exactly at what level he´s at in general. Think he´s a pretty smart brain but he doesn´t know how to start.
But I can´t help him caus´ all I know about programming is some C++ I had in class and that were just really simple things. I´m also an art guy and no progger.

I just thought I´d ask people who know what to do, so I can give him some advices on books, cause he asked me to keep my eyes open for good sources.