Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PSioNiC

Widescreen Games

PSioNiC    122
How could I clip the tops and bottoms of a Direct3D window, to make a 16:9 wide screen ratio ? I don''t want to just draw triangles over top. I want to clip the data for a performace gain (so the card doesn''t have to draw the top and bottom), and to make it look awesome like a movie (i''ve already added support for Alfred Hitchcock style camera work I''ve tried a number of things and all I get is garbage results. Any ideas ?

merlin9x9    174
You should also add support for wide aspect ratio display modes so those fortunate enough to have a wide-screen monitor get the wide aspect ratio in higher resolution and without black bars.

This whole widescreen thing is something I toyed around with about 2 years ago, and it''s pretty cool. The one thing that became a problem to any degree was deciding whether to make artwork intended for 4:3 and let the top and bottom get chopped off in 16:9 or to make the artwork 16:9 and let the sides get chopped off in 4:3. The latter is better because the image will be higher resolution.

I wish I had me one o'' them fancy monitors...

PSioNiC    122
Ya those Sony 24" GDM-W900 ''s are pretty orgasmic.

But I would much rather have a widescreen screen than a normal one. Hell, when im laying Unreal / Quake / Revolt, I crunch my monitor''s vertical size to the smallest to get it those black bars. I run my 17" monitor in 1600x1024 (nearly widescreen 16:10 aspect ratio).

The problem is that I have been having is I get the wide screen D3D window going, but on the top and the bottom where my bars are supposed to be, I just get garbage that looks like im not clearing the linear frame buffer there.

Any ideas ?

merlin9x9    174
Assuming this isn''t DirectX 8 you''re specifically using, you''ll need to have DirectDraw clear the front and back buffers any time your app is first displayed. This means when it first comes up and also any time the user has just switched back to it.

Now, if you''re using DirectX 8 which, I hear, has no exposed DirectDraw ties, I have no idea. I''m an OpenGL man, myself. =)