• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DakeDesu

Angry note on the rating system

This topic is 4557 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I second Servent's suggestion. It seems like a very good idea, actually. It would be a great way to avoid these threads, and to avoid other rating related freak-outs.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by JBourrie
Quote:
Original post by Servant of the Lord
If people wish to live in delusion of how the community feels about them, why not let them? (Or is that the purpose of the rating system; to let them know to get their act together?)

Wasn't there a time when your rating was 0? If I remember right, then you are proof that the ratings system does work :)

It bottomed out at 440-ish, and took me several months to get back to my old rating. I only just broke 1000 a month ago. (First time I had 1000+ since I joined) I got my rating increased because I helped people alot in For Begginers and Alternate Libraries. So, yeah, the rating system works well.

I would keep my rating visible to myself, but to cut down on others complaining, a 'hide ratings' feature could work. But then I guess people wouldn't be driven to help out others, and wouldn't stop posting crap.

Quote:
And yet I've never seen my rating go down more than 20 points from a single thread, because I write these posts with respect for the other users.

I've seen my rating drop more than 20 pts from one post. I think it was roughly 150-160ish (I was in the mid 800's at the time). And it wasn't due to disrespect to/for others. Mainly, I stated my opinion, be it a very unpopular opinion. What can I say, I'm opinionated. (It was a political/religious thread though.) Bad ratings seem to follow a snowball effect. I've seen some users who have low ratings, who have politely issued an arguement, and their rating dropped. But as was stated, the ratings seem to be based on reputation, which, like life outside of GDNet, some people will be treated with less respect for their opinions than others, sans merit.

As was also stated, the trend seems to be in the lounge to go downhill. If you want to get your rating up, and I can attest to this, self-ban yourself from the lounge until you have a 1000+ rating. Very little good will come out of staying there. And start helping people out in the other forums.

I personally do agree that rating should be content based, and I know I have brought this up before, as I'm sure many others have. The main arguement I can remember about this was that if someone wanted to rate you for an opinion, they'll find a way. While I personally feel that you shouldn't be able to rate people from the lounge, and that some people will find a way regardless, I don't think most people would put in the effort, and some lounge lizards just don't have any posts outside the lounge to get the high ratings they have (ie: if you could only rate a person from a technical question, they just don't have any non lounge posts, even if you would put in the effort). I'd even be willing to comprimise that you couldn't rate anyone up in the lounge, only down. Then again, sometimes there are issues people bring up in the lounge that don't belong elsewhere, where people can be helpful, and deserve a positive rating. But I believe all of the above would require a big rework of the ratings system, and not sure the people who write this stuff have the time, nor want to put in the effort for something that gives very little extra value.

Personally though, I feel that the one thing that would help the ratings system the best, and I've brought it up before, is a system where the ratings degrade over time. This would allow you to see the active reputations of members here And if someone was in a situation where they made a foolish mistake near the beginnings of their GD Net career, they wouldn't be permantly traumatized.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Servant of the Lord
It bottomed out at 440-ish, and took me several months to get back to my old rating. I only just broke 1000 a month ago. (First time I had 1000+ since I joined) I got my rating increased because I helped people alot in For Begginers and Alternate Libraries. So, yeah, the rating system works well.

I would keep my rating visible to myself, but to cut down on others complaining, a 'hide ratings' feature could work. But then I guess people wouldn't be driven to help out others, and wouldn't stop posting crap.

So you are saying the reason for the system is to encourage users to help others and therefore to show who the elite group are? or is it as JBourrie says "...reflects your reputation on the board..." and if so what is the purpose of the "rep" is it like "street cred".

I actually find it interesting that people feel there is a need for a rating scheme and therefore I do not understand why all the other forums on the internet that do not incorporate such features, fail to come crashing down.

Quote:
...you're wasting your time...
I did make this point in an earlier post.
Quote:
I do not foresee this post changing a single thing...

Quote:
Original post by Nytegard
Quote:
And yet I've never seen my rating go down more than 20 points from a single thread, because I write these posts with respect for the other users.

I've seen my rating drop more than 20 pts from one post.

The ratings system does scale itself, so I can see that happening. I recently rated a user up that was at 1100 and it bumped him by 20 points, because of the difference between the ratings. I think it maxes out somewhere, but a few users with much higher ratings can drop a low rating quickly. In short, don't piss off the mods :)

Quote:

I actually find it interesting that people feel there is a need for a rating scheme and therefore I do not understand why all the other forums on the internet that do not incorporate such features, fail to come crashing down.

Because this, unlike those other forums, is a semi-professional forum where you go to get information. And there may be actual money at stake if the information you get it from an unreliable source.

Guest Anonymous Poster
It seems people did not really read my earlier post.
Quote:

It is here so that users know how reliable your posts are.
From the time I started viewing this site as an AP I can not recall seeing advice which was incorrect not being quickly corrected.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

I can understand a little of the reasoning. In the beginning of gamedev (don't remember what the pre gamedev sites did, that was too long ago), there was the ratings based on post count. Unfortunately, you had the great NES8Bit vs Landfish war, which devistated the forums with wonderful one word posts. Sentences would be broken down into 20, maybe even 200 posts if you were lucky (or unlucky if you were the mod cleaning the forums), all so that they could get a better rating.

Those days ended, thus bringing about a time of the rating free reign. The lounge got violent, and while the era of the Landfish NES war was behind us, a new scourge of obscenity was ushered in.

Thus, ratings were brought forth, and people became much more select on their choice of topics and responses to users to avoid getting a reputation hit. Also, there are a few mod's who were helped to their status based on the fact that they were very well perceived here (well, from what I've been told, I could be wrong).

Quote:
The ratings system does scale itself, so I can see that happening. I recently rated a user up that was at 1100 and it bumped him by 20 points, because of the difference between the ratings. I think it maxes out somewhere, but a few users with much higher ratings can drop a low rating quickly. In short, don't piss off the mods :)

While it does scale itself, as you've stated, there is a limit (I think someone mentioned 29 or something, not sure). But 150+ drop on one post is somewhat excessive in my point of view, as it requires multiple people, and probably a decent amount of people, because I doubt everyone here is like you and has a very high rating able to do such damage (no offense on this).

Maybe something like a limit per week as to how low a rating can drop or something. If someone is disrespectful today, most likely they'll be disrespectful tomarrow too, but I don't think it's fair nor right that one post, regardless of it's content, can drop a user 500+ pts. Honestly, if a user was that disrespectful, I'd be thinking that a mod or someone would have probably laid down a ban. Maybe like a rolling 200 pts per week max you can drop. (Should it be exceeded, don't allow people to rate the user down, maybe a messagebox saying the user has already exceeded maximum rating decrease, that way, if in the future the person does provide a bad post, you can still rate the person with an effect, vs your minimum rating having no effect, allowing for an abuse to boost ratings). This way, it would take multiple posts over a period of time to reach a 0 rating, proving that they are a chronic problem. If they just made a mistake, chances are in a week you would most likely have forgotten about it, and wouldn't rate the person down unless they made another questionable post.

This topic is 4557 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.