Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Destroyable architecture data structures/idea

This topic is 6114 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been working on a 3d Tilebased game and really want to have "destroyable" terrain. It''s easy enough to create a system for destroying walls and objects, but what I really want is a sytem where destroying walls and supports can effect larger structures (XCOM being the best example of this, where blowing out walls and the like could cause buildings to tumble down). Does anyone have any recommendations for data structures/algorithims for supporting these kind of effects? Being tilebased obviously makes things much easier, and since XCOM already did exactly this, I figure there''s got to be some info on it out there. Any help appreciated! Thanks! Onnel

quote:
Original post by onnel
Does anyone have any recommendations for data structures/algorithims for supporting these kind of effects? Being tilebased obviously makes things much easier, and since XCOM already did exactly this, I figure there's got to be some info on it out there.

You need to have location data for large objects and when a tile is destroyed you check if it belonged to that objects area.

Edited by - paulkp on March 21, 2001 3:12:43 AM