Tech Support Forum

Started by
26 comments, last by Emmanuel Deloget 17 years, 3 months ago
We've all seen countless "help me!" threads show up in the lounge. It seems as if it's a new user who has registered just to ask for help, the thread gets closed. If it's a regular around here, then the thread stays open and the person asking usually gets some top notch advice. There is a wealth of knowledge circulating around these forums. Why not add a Tech Support forum to the list of options? That way new users as well as the regulars could come here and ask questions to those of us who know a lot about computers. Furthermore anyone replying in that forum would have only gone there with the intent of helping others. It seems like a win win to me.
Advertisement
Our community's knowledge is better served helping the community than random idiots who show up on Google and ask "HOW DO I SHOT INTERNET."

Usually the new users just shove down something like "email me at xyz" which represents they're spamming the top 50 or so hits on Google for "forum" and will never return.
I, for one, think this would be quite nice. I'm really quite tired with the Lounge being covered, daily, in either "HELP COMPUTER BROKED" or "HEY GUYS I"M GOING TO BRAG ABOUT MY SWEET NEW COMPUTER'S SPECS".
Maybe not 'tech support', but I think a Hardware forum would be good. I imagine it'd be used for user reviews, tech support questions and people who can't be bothered to research their own new system specs.

You have my support for this.
I like this idea.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
I guess it would make sense to have a hardware forum. Sure, this is a Game Developers website, but you can't develope/run those games without hardware!
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
Quote:Original post by evolutional
Maybe not 'tech support', but I think a Hardware forum would be good. I imagine it'd be used for user reviews, tech support questions and people who can't be bothered to research their own new system specs.
Well, this is also sometimes a result of people not being aware of the plethora of information on their new system. Which would also imply a sticky at the top of suggested forum for tech/hardware resources.

---------------------------------------------------There are 10 kinds of people in the world:Those that understand binary, and those that dont...Mage
Yes, GDNet needs a Hardware forum. This has been brought up like 20 times now. [rolleyes]
Ra
There should be restrictions for the hardware forum: Disallow members that are less than 7 days to view or post in the forum. That'll keep the 'zomg lol fix mah problem and mail me at lolfag@loser.com' people out.

Toolmaker

Quote:Original post by evolutional
Hardware forum ... user reviews ... tech support questions

Yes. Even hardware news, hardware advertising...
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement