XNA Forum?

Started by
9 comments, last by Kylotan 17 years, 3 months ago
I've been working quite a bit lately with the XNA framework and Game Studio from Microsoft and use their forums for support (www.microsoft.com/xna). Have you guys given any thought to adding a forum here for XNA development considering it appears to be a future standard in game development (by standard I don't mean C++ replacement or DX replacement, I mean it as a tool that will be around for a while)?

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Advertisement
This has been suggested quite a bit. The usual response is that since XNA is a wrapper over the DirectX APIs, all XNA questions should go into the DirectX forum(usually with [XNA] in the title). However if there where enough questions that they overwhelmed the normal DX questions, a new XNA forum would be made.

Looking at the DX forum now, it seems most people are still using unmanaged DX, so there isn't enough demand yet.

Edit: Why are people putting XNA questions in .Net? You already have to know to use XNA and almost all the questions are DX related.
Thread 1 and Thread 2 on the subject.

Basically, it looks like there isn't enough noise about XNA yet, and the various aspects of it are a bit spread out.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Scet
Edit: Why are people putting XNA questions in .Net? You already have to know to use XNA and almost all the questions are DX related.

I think its due to the fact that XNA covers a variety of things and doesn't really fit into any one existing forum. I started looking at the .net forum mainly because it seems to garner the most XNA questions in one place. ;) I understand if you guys think it's too early for one. I'll just post in the DirectX forum for now.

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

(I guess this means we need to spam a bunch of good XNA threads in an organized convoluted manner - XNA really deserves its own forum)

[razz][sad]
I have been posting my XNA threads in the .Net forum because that is where the MDX related threads are supposed to be posted, or so I have been told (I have no idea why on this one).
*Posting to add more support for an XNA forum* [smile]

At the moment XNA threads seem to be spread over mostly .NET and DirectX.
Why not modify or combine one or more existing forums?

Like maybe change the DirectX forum into the "DirectX, Managed DirectX and now, in colour, XNA"
[ Six Hour Game Contest | ( Thread | Blog | Wiki | 6hour Bio ) ][ Website | (Blog | Gallery ) ]
Quote:I think its due to the fact that XNA covers a variety of things and doesn't really fit into any one existing forum.
This is still my current opinion - XNA might have a specific API/framework but it's still a very broad technology.

I'd almost liken it to splitting 'native' and 'managed' based purely on languages - ultimately a scene graph is a scene graph regardless of your language of choice, so surely the algorithm is the common part that selects the forum rather than the implementation being used?

Quote:Original post by DakeDesu
Why not modify or combine one or more existing forums?

Like maybe change the DirectX forum into the "DirectX, Managed DirectX and now, in colour, XNA"
I had thought about a similar idea on one of the previous times the XNA Forum question came up. Although I'd go with a "Windows Games Technologies" or similar - There are lots of aspects to it now - DX/MDX/XNA and also the Games for Vista (e.g. the Games browser on the Vista start menu)...

Quote:(I guess this means we need to spam a bunch of good XNA threads in an organized convoluted manner - XNA really deserves its own forum)
Whilst it'd be an abuse of powers remember us moderators can delete and move threads [razz]. There is no cover-up.

Cheers,
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

well he did say in an organised manner--convoluted yes, but organised more so.

However--we must be careful about the new forums. I think a "Microsoft Multimedia Technologies" forum would be good. We've already got an "Everything Unix" forum, and Unix covers far more technologies than what we are proposing here.
[ Six Hour Game Contest | ( Thread | Blog | Wiki | 6hour Bio ) ][ Website | (Blog | Gallery ) ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement