3H-GDC m.VI: The Pits (Winner: Endurion!)

Started by
72 comments, last by Endurion 17 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by Endurion
I'm in.

Alarmed by the flickering of the real console i used last time i'd like to use some basecode i put into my usual gaming framework. This basically emulates the console look with a font bitmap and utilizes GDI in windowed mode and DDraw in fullscreen mode.

Due it to being set into my gaming framework i have to ask if it's ok to be used. The framework itself does not provide any gaming features but encapsulates the window management, graphic, input and sound code.

Can i use the framework in that way?

To see it running look at my sample game i made for a valentines day competition: Love Me Do

327 red hearts, 3 gold hearts, red and blue key later, yes, you may use it. wlkthruplzkthxby

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight

327 red hearts, 3 gold hearts, red and blue key later, yes, you may use it. wlkthruplzkthxby

Needed a good minute to understand the last "words" :)

You can download a map from here. Careful, it's real size.

If you've got the blue key you must have the green key as well. So all three color keys; now you need to get the extra stuff activated. From where you found the blue key (the heart of hearts in the center) climb up through the "happy valentine" and through the blue door to the right.

You should find the pipe activator in that area. The yellow thingies (horizontal as well as vertical) can be moved in Mario-like once you activated them (there should've been a message).

You probably find the cyan dot stuff soon if you haven't yet. The activator is in the bottom right part.

In the big pyramid you'll find an item which helps you to gather the last hearts.

Ok, back on topic!

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Do the games have to strictly adhere to the 95 printable ascii characters? Or can we include custom characters that are in the spirit of ascii-games like the walls/hallways in nethack or the dwarves/trees in dwarf fortress?
Quote:Original post by CrimsonSun
Do the games have to strictly adhere to the 95 printable ascii characters? Or can we include custom characters that are in the spirit of ascii-games like the walls/hallways in nethack or the dwarves/trees in dwarf fortress?
Characters 0 through 127 *must* be the standard ASCII set. Characters 128-255 can be any "real" extended set, i.e. something that has been used in real console apps, no personal creations. So, if Nethack used it, it's good. Dwarf Fortress is an OpenGL console look-a-like, so I wouldn't base you decisions strictly on that game.

Strictly speaking, I won't know if you implement the entire ASCII set if you don't use the entire ASCII set. I also won't ever know if you arrange the lower 128 characters to be the ASCII set or just throw them around randomly. I really don't care, either. The purpose of the ASCII-art restriction is to normalize the playing field (that's also why I won't accept Text-Mode rasterizers). It removes a significant hurdle for beginners and provides a challenge for gurus. So the idea is, whatever you use for a character set should theoretically be available to everyone.

As an example, here are the character sets that Java (left) and .NET (middle) and Visual Studio 2005's implementation of the C Standard Library (right) use.

ascii charsets

[Edited by - capn_midnight on January 3, 2007 4:30:56 PM]

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

1)I'm useless at timezones - when does it start in GMT/UTC?

2)Could you confirm the graphics from my entry last contest are suitable with the restrictions - that uses Direct3D to emulate?
Quote:Original post by d000hg
1)I'm useless at timezones - when does it start in GMT/UTC?

2)Could you confirm the graphics from my entry last contest are suitable with the restrictions - that uses Direct3D to emulate?

Dude, you took second place last time. What do you think? ;)

Everyone: If you don't think you have the time to compete, but still want to be involved, you could volunteer to be a judge and/or donate a prize. The contest has always ran on community donated prizes, which I think is one of the greatest parts about it.

Just wanted to check things hadn't changed!
I'll enter.

I'll definitely come up with a more simple idea this time.
I always regret not entering this when it comes up, so I'll enter this year.

Now I just need to learn the C# Console class. However, if worse comes to worse, I can emulate the look with XNA.

I'll probably also have to set my alarm in order to wake up at 9:00[grin]
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
I'm in!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement