3H-GDC m.VI: The Pits (Winner: Endurion!)

Started by
72 comments, last by Endurion 17 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by Endurion
Ok, uploaded my game.

Get it here.

Screenshots:

The Game:

You are a famous barber specialized in arm pits (Hence "The Pits"). Be careful to satisfy your customers. Use enough foam, keep a steady hand and don't hurry while shaving the arm pits.

Your customer will only endure a certain amount of cutting. Keep the hair percentage in your mind and also watch for the endurance meter.

Move the mouse to move the brush or razor, push the left button to use it. Switch it by clicking on the bottom left part of the display bar or use the right mouse button.

There's five levels, i've not completed the last one, i have no idea if it can be done.

You can use Alt-Enter to switch between windowed and fullscreen mode.
BTW, the servers time is off by almost ten minutes ;)

I just played your game. Great job! Your idea was very good, and your implementation was great as well.

My biggest complaint: It's really hard. It took me like a dozen tries to pass the first level. I couldn't pass the second. Still, that fact that my only major complaint has to do with the difficulty curve (something that takes a good deal of time to get right) implies a lot about the quality of your entry (it's very good!).

[Edited by - extralongpants on January 13, 2007 1:11:53 PM]
Advertisement
The entries that I received on time are available on the contest website. I'll eventually have screenshots and comments.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Dang, sorry for the confusion :)

nagromo: Quite a difference with the enemies in. And it beeped at me!

extralongpants: Nifty idea, did you finish an executable? It'd be interesting to see how you planned the whole thing to play out.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Quote:Original post by nagromo
Here's an updated version.

Since the contest ended an hour ago, the previous one should be judged, but this is slightly more like what I intended to make.

It's 860 lines of very ugly C# code split between 2 files.

Since so many people don't finish their projects, could we possibly extend the contest to 5 or 6 hours in the future, while still keeping the ascii/console requirement? That would give us more time to flesh out the gameplay.

I just tried out your game. Good idea - it's simple, but easily scalable. If you included the concept of 'rooms', it would probably extend the gameplay a great deal.

The game was a little too easy - I only got hurt a couple of times and beat it on my first try - and it took me a while to find my avatar at the beginning of the game, in all the graphical chaos.

Good job though. You got the game to a can-win-or-lose state (certainly beyond the state of my game), and your idea was creative.
Quote:Original post by extralongpants
Here's some info about my game:

Title
The Pits (Original, eh?)

Original Concept
You're on a race car pit crew. For some reason you have no crew members.

The game is played in rounds, each of which are a single pit stop by your race car.

As the single pit man, you have to jack up the car, change worn out tires, fill up the gas tank, and clean the front of the car in as little time as possible.

Before each round, a list of what needs to be done is given to you. You have to remember the list as well as perform all the required actions as quickly as you can.

You lose the game when you fail to make all the required adjustments under a certain time limit (each round has a successively shorter limit).

Actual Game
In each round, you have to replace the car's worn out tires. There is no time limit or clock; you can not win or lose. [lol]... [crying]

Screen Shot

Yeah...

Obviously the graphics were supposed to look a little nicer, and there was supposed to be a gas can, a jack, and a bucket along with the tires.

Oh well, I tried. I certainly learned from the experience.

If anyone wants to read one, I can type up a post-mortem of sorts.

Looks good to me!
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Dang, sorry for the confusion :)

nagromo: Quite a difference with the enemies in. And it beeped at me!

extralongpants: Nifty idea, did you finish an executable? It'd be interesting to see how you planned the whole thing to play out.

Here's a the uploaded game, if you want to try it out: clicky

Of course, in its current state, it's more of a chore than a game. [lol]

PS. I honestly don't know if it will even run. I didn't get to try it out on another computer before I uploaded it.
Nice idea. I like especially that you have to carry the tire from the correct side. This could be made into a nice arcade game, imagine the enemy having his men walk through your pit and miscarry stuff ;)

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Nice idea. I like especially that you have to carry the tire from the correct side. This could be made into a nice arcade game, imagine the enemy having his men walk through your pit and miscarry stuff ;)

That would be cool. I also thought about having other cars zoom down pit road, so you could get hit if you didn't time it right.

[Edited by - extralongpants on January 15, 2007 9:21:49 PM]
Sorry I missed the contest folks, but I had terrible luck. The night before the contest, I was delegated an obfuscated electro-magnetics question. I am half way done, having been pounding at it since 8:00AM (2:74PM now) this morning. [dead]
Well gang, we're just waiting for the tie-breaker judge to way in, and yes, we need him to make a final decision.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement