Newbie Help

Started by
7 comments, last by Yogispaw 23 years, 1 month ago
I''m am currently building a text based basketball game and I am stuck on developing a formula. I am new to programming so perhaps I need to studying up more but the question I have is this. Ok the players all have attributes in 9 different categories; height,hands,passing ability, aggressiveness, shooting distance, scoring ability, stamina, and progression ability (able to get better in off season doesn''t apply to a game situation). The players will have in each category a number between 1-10(10 being highest) except for height. I''m stuck in making a formula that would work. Breaking down each attribute would be like this... Height= good for defending and shooting over a defender Hands= good for stealing, rebounding. Passing = for passing Aggressiveness = for driving to the basket and good for defense Shooting Distance = Distance from the goal a person can shoot Scoring Ability = Good for ability to make shots Stamina = How long the person can stay in the game Progression ability = How well the player can improve in the off season. I know this is quite a complex matter but any information on it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement
oh boy,
OK, I am new to programming, and I need a compiler. uh, The computer I''m using I can''t download one on, and the computer I write C++ on, Isn''t hooked up to the net. So here''s what is up. I need a Compiler that can fit on a floppy (zipped or not it doesn''t matter), It has to be good though, I have downloaded a couple and they were not worth the time. I don''t want to buy any software. Where can I get a compiler that fits my needs? Maybe someone could send me a zipped copy of their compiler through e-mail? That would be great! If you are interested, respond to this topic, and I will (privately) send you my e-mail address. . . ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!!!
Thanks,
Bane

http://www.crosswinds.net/~dotspot

PS, I''m not registered with this message board place so thats why I replied (that way it''s free =])
Pay no heed to the previous jerks posting.

Apperantly when God Sh@t him out of his @$$hole, he had all the lnowledge he needed to survive in life. Like sarcasm, condesension, arogance, and a special talent in wasting peoples time (as well as his own).

When it comes to simulations, the best thing to do is write a simple programm that caters to a specific part of the simulation.
That way when you are happy with results you can implement your algorithm into your program.

Start by manually entering values and seeing the outcome. Adjust your algorothim to suite your expectations.

Mostly any simulated outcome is a set of probabilties, so each vaue would be 1, anything less would indicate less chance/ability and concurrently anything more would increase the chance/ability.

EG.

Using, height (HT), scoring ability(SA) and hands(HD)

You would do the following SUCCESS = (HT x SA x HD) x 100

You would then take that result and weight it against the oppenents abiltiy to block (BL) and quickness (Q)

this would be FAIL = (BL x Q) x 100

OK, now add SUCCESS and FAIL. this gives you a RANGE.

Take a random number between 0 and RANGE. If it is smaller than SUCCESS then the ball made it to the hoop, if not the shot was blocked.

This is a very simple algorithm, but it should get you started.

As for the previous poster, he obvoiusly did not know the answer.

D.V.

--------------------------
Carpe Diem
D.V.Carpe Diem
EH? Was the first part of your message to me or the guy that started to topic? I didn''t really mean to be all that you listed, and I don''t know where you got, that from my message. . . I''m sorry. I am new to programming so I know nothing about it, and need help. . .

Thank you for your time. . .

Bane
I think DeltaVee thought you were insulting Yogispaw, and that you should create your own thread for your own problem. You know that registration is FREE! click here to register!
Thanks for the helpt D.V. I''ve had such a problem trying to weigh the difference between a player who is better has more success than his oppenent. I think to add to your algorithm for the defender I''m going to add FAIL = (HT x BL x Q)x 100 to incorporate height in the defender. I will try some of this stuff out and see if I can get this working the way I would like. Thanks for the help
Registration may be free, but you still need to sign up and this isn''t always feasible. I was on the board as an A.P. for several months before I was able to sign up. I got kind of sick and tired of peoples comments about anonymous posters and being cowards and hiding behind names and stuff. I mean what''s the difference, I''m still anonymous, hence the name.
Gee Brain, what we gonna do tonight?
Well I have the variables for the shooting and things down atleast to where I can move on and play balance later but it works well so far. I''ve run into another problem of how to tell how far the player is from the basket. Whether he''s 5 feet or 50 feet after all you can''t hit as many from half court as you can a dunk.
Hmmm.. maybe if you were to create representations of the recognised players (Shaq, Jordan etc.) in your program, then you'd have a nice easy way to reference the relative talents of the players.

It'd also be an aid for testing your algorithm.
i.e. If Shaq is blocked by some weedy college team dropout, then you know something is very wrong with your calculations.

Edited by - Eight on March 21, 2001 4:34:56 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement