Is DirectInput worth it for the mouse and simple keyboard use?

Started by
1 comment, last by Anthracks 23 years ago
I''m working on my latest project, a 2D adventure game in the tradition of Gabriel Knight, and I am starting to code the input routines. Right now I''m torn between just using the Win32 API commands and using DirectInput. I''ve tried using the mouse in DI to get absolute mouse coords and it is not exactly a pretty picture. So my basic question is, for mouse control with a few simple keyboard shortcuts, is there any reason at all to use DirectInput? I see how it has its uses for joysticks, gamepads, etc., but frankly those devices are pretty awful for playing adventure games. Is there some hidden coolness to DirectInput I don''t know about, or should I just lay off it for this project? Thanks, Anthracks
Advertisement
i tried using dxinput for my mouse and keyboard controls and i ended up going back to win32api commands. i heard somewhere that its better to just use the win32 method than dxinput for mouse and keyboard. the only real advantages i saw were for complicated control schemes and joystick support. it''s still buggy too, even after 8.0a, so i wouldn''t recommend.
DirectInput simplifies key combinations. That''s the only reason I use it. I use the standard win32 commands for mouse movement though.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement