Terrain Texturing

Started by
1 comment, last by TheAdmiral 17 years, 3 months ago
Hello, I would like to add a new way of doing the texturing on our terrain but I can't really find an good solution out there. I have already tried a few things, but none of them were good enough. The goal is easy: fast to render, good quality near the camera, and easy to modify for an artist. One big texture and using some sort of MegaTexture streaming solution might be interesting, but the problem is the bandwidth and reading from DVD rom drives on consoles. And it's not so easy to implement a fast version which is editable by an artist - I think. The only other solution to this is some sort of texture splatting, as far as I know. But I tried a few simple ones. Does anyone have a good working suggestion for this. In ShaderX4 I found an article on procedural textures (7.3), but demo doesn't work for some reason. Has anyone already tried to implement it? Regards, Kenzo
Advertisement
I was able to startup the app on another PC. Far away it looks really nice, but up close it's again not of high quality. Other suggestions?

Regards,
Kenzo
Quote:Original post by Guoshima
I was able to startup the app on another PC. Far away it looks really nice, but up close it's again not of high quality. Other suggestions?

It sounds like you need to increase the resolution of the mesh and/or texture. Using a bigger texture will allow the camera to get closer to the geometry before the mag-filter kicks in. This will cost you more memory, but no more GPU time.
Using a finer mesh will smooth out the geometry in silhouette and potentially, depending on your implementation, increase the effective resolution of the texture.

Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement