3D engine for a mmorpg

Started by
10 comments, last by Hybris 23 years ago
Hi, Im wondering if anyone know a good 3d engine for a mmorpg. I saw an old thread about this (think it was from 1999 or something) but I bet things have changed since then Me and my friends are going to make a mmorpg (as some of you maby already know) and we plan to buy (or find a free 3d engine) since we figure its an important part of the game and we are not so experienced in 3d programming yet. we hardly think we can do a 3d engine that is equally good as a commersial 3d engine (well not in a near future anyway). What do you guys think of buying a 3d engine and concentrate on coding the actual game and networking instead vs making your own engine? Yeah I can see alot of advantages of making your own engine -you know how it works etc.. Well anyway I looked at crystal space (open source which is good) but I don''t know if that is what im looking for. The engine must support huge outdoor worlds aswell as indoor enviroments. The engine doesn''t have to be open source but if not it would be good if it is well documented. /Thanks in advance The best engine i found so far is Power renderer (commersial but not to expensive). It seems pretty good and I think the graphic looks really nice. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Does anyone have experience with power renderer and mmorpgs? (Or crystal space and mmorpgs). Well I add the http to power renderer so you can check it out if you havn''t done it already Power renderer http://www.egerter.com/index3.htm sorry for not making it clickable but im to laz..ehum tired (its 03:13 here). I would apriciate some quick answers since our game document is almost finished and we are eager to start coding. The 3d engine is one of the few things we still havn''t decided about. Also do you think that engine will "do it for gamers 4 years from now?".
Advertisement
I''m using genesis 3d. good and free www.genesis3d.com
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!!!!
What is wrong with the 3D engine you have already bought ???

your own words:

"We already bought a professional 3d engine that is suited for mmorpgs."
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Check out www.garagegames.com. They are licensing the engine used by Tribes 2 for only 100 dollars. Maybe it could handle a MMORPG, it can take care of both indoor and outdoor stuff.
-- Rasmus Neckelmann
Granat, nothing wrong with it its just it is under developement its not fully working as of now. I''m just curious what other engines are out there and if some engine is specially good for mmorpg

Whats with everyone seemingly wanting to create a mmorpg lately? Most of them seem to be like this one, "Me and my friends are going to create a mmorpg". Things dont just work like that. Youll need a highly talented team with a lot of devotion to the project. Youll also need a damn lot of cash to run the servers, and most likely charge a monthly fee to play the game to pay for bandwidth and server upkeep.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
If money is not an issue, check out www.microforte.com.au, their Big World engine is the best MMO game engine in the world in this point in time. I have seen some of it in action at my University at a careers expo. Network code can support up to 100,000 people at anytime without shards. Stay tuned for this engine. Their inhouse title "Citizen Zero" is expected to be released some time in 2002. Damn it''s the most awesome thing I have ever seen.
Maximus, we are already aware of those issues. Our team is quite talanted now (me beeing the weak link in the chain but I''ll learn and currently my function is most as level designer and to handle contact with companies/bank/sponsors and so on). We don''t plan to make the entire game ourselves.

-=Code=-, thanks I checked it out and I must say i share your optimism Thats exacly what I''ve been looking for. I hope it won''t be to damn expensive but i think it''ll cost alot to get that licence.
you could just take the engine you have and change its codeing to do your bidding. It worked for Half-Life and the Quake2 engine maybe it can work for you.
Methinks the CryEngine would be nice for a MMORPG, as it supports highly detailed vast outdoor areas, as well as highly detailed indoor areas, and runs nicely as well. Only shortfall is that it requires a nVidia card to run iirc, so people that own 3dfx/ati/etc cards will be left out.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement