Which compiler is better? DevC++(Minigw), djgpp, Lcc-Win32

Started by
12 comments, last by 49studebaker 23 years ago
Hey does anyone know what compiler is better Lcc-Win32, DevC++(minigw) or Djgpp. Does DJGPP have a IDE like DevC++, is DJGPP for Windows or only Dos? I want to use the compiler mainly for making games. If you use DJGPP what files do you download? Edited by - CH on March 19, 2001 10:08:03 PM
Advertisement
If you want to make DOS games, get DJGPP (It is only for DOS). If you want to make Windows stuff, get Dev-C++.

Martee
Magnum Games.NET
All your code are belong to us.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
DJGPP is mainly for DOS, though there are add-on packs for it which allows it to compile Window GUI apps (RSXNT I think it is called). However my experience with this package is very limited - I tried to get something compiled once and it failed so it got deleted pretty quickly. CygWin is the "follow-up" to DJGPP and is designed purely for Windows so you might want to look at that. DJGPP doesn''t come with an IDE so you may want to take a look at RHIDE or DFE. If I remember correctly they are both no longer supported by the original authors but volunteers have picked up and added improvements overtime.

LCC-Win32 I have got to work, but I have to say the IDE that comes with it is pretty naff, but then again you can use something else like TextPad Pro. I just wish someone would do a direct port of NEdit to Windows for me and me alone:-) I never tried to compile a DX game with LCC so I don''t know whether it likes DX but I did try OpenGL and that worked fine.

I never tried MinGW or DevC++ so I can''t comment on their usability. I think Symantec has released an old version of Watcom for downloading, and Borland 5 is also available too.

I personally use a student license of Visual Studio and well worth the £100 or so it costs. Hope that helps.

Stay Lucky, Graham "Mournblade" Reeds,
http://homepage.dtn.ntl.com/grahamr
Stay Lucky, Graham "Mournblade" Reeds,ICQ: 30514803http://homepage.dtn.ntl.com/grahamr/
Do you know how much Visual studio is in American Dollars. What does it included the Visual C++ compiler? You can use the license for commerical products till you are 18 right? How much does Visual Studio cost, if you can buy the product why do you have to buy a license also?
Thanks
Go to Microsoft.com and take a look . The student version, to put it bluntly, is unusable and would suck for commercial or distributed products/projects. The Standard version is ok, except that it is missing a code optimizer, a profiler, and some other features. The Professional version is very nice (it has all of the features that Standard is missing) but it costs a lot.

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/
Hey everyone....

I bought Visual C++ 6.0 Pofessional at a Store on A local University Campus for $170 Canadian.... It was an Academic price, but the product is the real, full blown Visual C++ 6...

I would suggest looking around for those kind of deals.... Check the universities..

I had to get a friend that went to this university to buy it for me, I was in a different college at the time..

Good luck...

Michael Rhodes
mrhodes@hfx.andara.com
Michael RhodesTiger Studios Web Designhttp://tigerstudios.net
BLURF!!

Before you go out and buy the MS compiler, make sure you understand what you are getting. It is missing a lot of really
important features that should be in standard C++. To be blunt, when you get VC++ you are paying for the IDE. It is a Really easy and nice IDE to use. But the MS compiler bows chunky monkeys.

I recommend that you look at Borland. While not perfect, it is
more standards compliant than MS.

However THE best compiler on the market is probably KAI C++.
If you ever decide to release a product commercially then get
KAI C++!! It implements all the Standard C++ features and
makes your code SOOOOO Freakin Fast!!!! It is a little expensive,
but is so worth the investment.

Whatever compiler you decide to get, Happy Programming!!
type entity[dynamic cmd_interface: cmd c, object o=0 [ if:c call_remote[c,o]; ]void;]
follow the white rabbit [ ]
Online RPGs.. Almost like another life! Except for whenswitching back to real life, sometimes I forget there isn'ta profanity filter..
Where do you get KAI C++, who makes it?
I just wanted to point out that if you are a student at a college you can usually get a version of Visual C++ 6.0 PROFESSIONAL yes, Professional for a highly discounted rate. It is what I did at UNR and it only cost me about 100 bucks. It is TONS better than anything you can get for free, although I am sure you will all argue with me, but believe me, if you really explore what you can do with it, it is a great App. I strongly suggest that if you are going to do real development that you grab a copy of VC++. If you aren''t a student. . . well then go to a local college and make friends until one of them will let you give them the money to buy it for you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement