• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paulcoz

Question about feature-specific graphics coding?

This topic is 6425 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How can I make sure that a program written to take advantage of specific graphics features like 32-bit colour, T&L etc.., stencil-buffer also runs on cards without these features? Do you have to use API-functions to determine what features a graphics card has, then run different pieces of code depending on the hardware? If I write a program which supports 32-bit colour, will older cards just automatically draw the textures in 16-bit colour, or should I make a set of identical 16-bit textures so that less data (16-bit only) is passed over the graphics bus? Same for T&L - If I were to code something that took advantage of T&L, would I have to re-write the same pipeline code for non-T&L cards. How can I ensure that the program I write utilises the latest features yet still runs on other/older cards without these features? Paulcoz.

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!