MP3 decoding

Started by
2 comments, last by sprochet 23 years ago
I'm just wondering if there's any way to get my hands on the MP3 specs, i'm working on an mp3 decoder for a game engine, cause compressing wav with huffman, was no success =(... anyway, what I have so far is the info for mp3 headers, that is how to get the kbps/freq that kind of things + reading the ID3 tag...What i'm really interested in is the audio data, anyone that knows where it's located inside the frames?? Edited by - sprochet on March 20, 2001 4:21:42 AM
woha
Advertisement
I highly suggest you use an existing MP3 decoder to decompress the data. The FMOD sound library has support for MP3''s, and has a very highly optimized decoder.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
You might want to have a look at Ogg Vorbis though.

There are some nasty liscensing issues with MP3, and Vorbis is FREE, with just-as-good/better quality & filesizes.

Check it out, I''m glad I did. (And they have OpenSource enc/dec libs)

E=0)

Waassaap!!
Waassaap!!
If I were you, I''d simply use RIFF MP3s (an mpeg-3 compressed wav) and use DirectSound to play it for you (it can).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement