Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anthracks

Best image file format for games?

I''m curious, what do people here think is the best file format for games to store images in? Right now I am using simple 24-bit bitmaps which, while easy to load, can bloat your game to an incredible size pretty quick. It doesn''t matter much for the download since they compress decently in a .zip or .rar file, but once unpacked they take up half your harddrive. What do most people out there use for your 2D games? JPEG''s strike me as being overly hard to load (plus I don''t like lossy compression), and GIF''s can only be 256 colors (plus there''s the whole patent issue with the compression scheme there). How are PNG''s to decompress? Or does anyone else have a personal favorite? Thanks for any info, Anthracks

DDS files aren''t unreasonable. They can use compression (D3D texture compression mind you) but they support all colour depths and can use alpha channels like TGA files. They aren''t to difficult to parse either.

Just because you''re outnumbered doesn''t mean you''re wrong.

sharewaregames.20m.com

I think BMP''s or PNG''s are fine, however I prefer to store everyting into large pak files so there aren''t hundreds of little files cluttering up the hard-drive (and wasting space). You can also compress the files in the pak file so crappy BMP compression won''t be an issue.

Wotsit.org for PNG decompression.

I have always use PCX for my 2D work (which has usually been 8-bit however), but that''s just because I know the format like the back of my hand. Nevertheless, I recommend it.

Abs

I''d use PNG. They''re small fi you don''t use too many colors, and still smaller them bmps even if you do. Plus, if you have Photoshop you can posterize them to like 20 levels or whatever you can''t tell much of a difference at and that shrinks the size a lot.

-Deku-chan

DK Art (my site, which has little programming-related stuff on it, but you should go anyway^_^)

I suggest making your own file format for you final artwork, this can save lots of hd space since the file will contain nothing that you don''t want in there. Do your artwork in bmp format or whatever editor you like best and write a program to convert it to your format...then write your own loading procedure in your game. People won''t be able to mess around with your artwork this way. When I was doing 2d work I used PCX for 256 color graphics...now that I do 3d work I use my own simple format for 16 bit images.