Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MtK

Adjustment of game speed...

MtK    130
I''m programming a little Game in C++ (under DOS) and now have a little Question about how to adjust the game speed to processor speed. I''ve already implemented my own way to do so and now I just wanted to ask if that''s the right one. -First I count the FPS and then take the average of the last 5 values as average FPS (AFPS) -With this value i initialise the counter that decrements by one every frame and catches the keyboard input when it''s 0. { counter = AFPS/28; //don''t ask for the 28} -The next thing to control by AFPS is the spritemovement. I also have a counter that decrements by a certain value depending on AFSP.{ movesprite[no_sprite] -= (SPEED/AFPS)+1; //SPEED is a constant value (320) } I know that this is a little bit messed up but it works quite well (the game runs good on a 486/66 Mhz as well as an Duron 800 Mhz) only the timing of the Spritemovement is a bit different... Can I leave it that way ?

GayleSaver    122
I suggest you run a set of cycles, possibly a counted loop, and find the difference using the computer''s timer. Then, assume that is the speed for whatever operation you have to perform. I think you should get a standard speed, and then use that as a constant to make a ratio. For example, get the game to work as you like it to work under a 66mhz, map it to 1, and then use that constant which you calculated to determine speed relative to 1... I think.