Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adjustment of game speed...

This topic is 6116 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m programming a little Game in C++ (under DOS) and now have a little Question about how to adjust the game speed to processor speed. I''ve already implemented my own way to do so and now I just wanted to ask if that''s the right one. -First I count the FPS and then take the average of the last 5 values as average FPS (AFPS) -With this value i initialise the counter that decrements by one every frame and catches the keyboard input when it''s 0. { counter = AFPS/28; //don''t ask for the 28} -The next thing to control by AFPS is the spritemovement. I also have a counter that decrements by a certain value depending on AFSP.{ movesprite[no_sprite] -= (SPEED/AFPS)+1; //SPEED is a constant value (320) } I know that this is a little bit messed up but it works quite well (the game runs good on a 486/66 Mhz as well as an Duron 800 Mhz) only the timing of the Spritemovement is a bit different... Can I leave it that way ?

I suggest you run a set of cycles, possibly a counted loop, and find the difference using the computer''s timer. Then, assume that is the speed for whatever operation you have to perform. I think you should get a standard speed, and then use that as a constant to make a ratio. For example, get the game to work as you like it to work under a 66mhz, map it to 1, and then use that constant which you calculated to determine speed relative to 1... I think.