Serious issues in NeHe base code!

Started by
20 comments, last by Hunter-Killer 23 years ago
I upgraded to Windows 2000 recently which is 32bit and runs in protected mode. Well after a week or so I started just rashing uinstanting when a program would do something. After a couple calls to Microsoft I learned that in NT when the software tries to gain access to the hardware it says "i dont think so" and kicks your ass out. There are 2 things I have found that cause this. One is starting a download with mutliple mirrors with DAP while running Media Player. The other is the fullscreen code used in every GL tutorial on this site. What happens is it tries to change the screen settings but the attempt gets half assed so windows returns an error and as soon as you try to create the message box it crashes. The tech said that 9x wasnt supposed to allow hardware control either but it was more tolerent than NT. The exact stop error is 0x0000001E. This really needs fixed. Hunter-Killer
Advertisement
Read the disclaimer, what you call "half assed" has helped thousands of budding developers.

If you want to point out a bug, point it out. Don't go on some tirad against someone busting their hump to help us out.

As for your comments on Win2k. A large number of us DO use Win2k for our development, and I have yet to see anyone make comments such as yours. I have used the pascal equivalents of NeHe's code many times and never once caused access violations using his resolution or context code.

Care to explain a little with more patience and show us the bad segment instead of ranting?

Jason

Edited by - DeschutesCore on March 22, 2001 8:26:05 AM
I''m not sure if I''d call this post ranting, but it doesn''t seem like it has a purpose. Is NeHe supposed to re-write all his programs for you? Perhaps if you could actually find the specific problem (and on of those error codes that M$ spits at you really isn''t of any use), then someone could fix it. I also use NT 5, and everything works fine for me.

On another note, I don''t even believe that there is any hardware access, or anything at all for that matter, done before fullscreen prompt. Your problem confuses me.
NeHe has provided us with very good code. At the very leat you could be thankful instead of critical. If you see and "issue" point it out with the respect that NeHe deserves. Without NeHe you would be completely lost...

I think that a public apology is in order for NeHe...

If you are not man enough for that, then perhaps you should stop posting here all together if NeHe is so "troublesome" for you...
Thanks!John William Blair "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
http://members.home.com/chucklez/wtc/index.html
I have no problems with the Nehe code framework in Win2K .

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/
actually, i have a problem w/ the fullscreen part too. the prog crashes and gives me a blue screen upon exit. what i do to fix it is to kill the window first and THEN reset the resolution. i think it''s more of a vid card driver issue(maybe ur card''s manufacture wrote poor drivers for win2k?). cuz this problem gets fixed if i turn off 3d accel.

btw, i''m using a viper2 on win2k.

life is unfair, take advantage of it.
UNMB2 - if the link doesn''t work, try clicking it
life is unfair, take advantage of it.UNMB2 - if the link doesn't work, try clicking it :)
Win2K is fine for me too...

:: Jamie Interactive ::
quote:Original post by Hunter-Killer

I upgraded to Windows 2000 recently which is 32bit and runs in protected mode.

Ehm..... Win9x does also run in protected mode and even win 3.11 runs in protected mode...
Perhaps your sysadmin (if your''e not home)?? have restricted your permissions so you simply arn''t allowed to change the vidmode..

Btw, I code in win2k (pro) and I havn''t had any problems at all.

return 1;
I''ve been running OpenGL fullscreen apps in Win2k for almost a year and haven''t had a single crash! My advise would be to use the debbuger to step through your program and find the exact function call that causes the crash. Then return here and post a usefull question that includes information like...
Vid Card: GeForce2mx, Voodoo3 2000, S3 Virg/GX, etc...
Language: C/C++, VisualBasic, Pascal, etc...
Compiler: MSVC, Borland C++, Delphi, etc...
Error: i.e.
The code from nehe''s Lesson 1 tutorial crashes whenever it calls "somefunction" in fullscreen mode. Can anyone tell me why this is?

Then instead of getting ripped on you''ll probably get solutions to your problem.
------------------------------Piggies, I need more piggies![pig][pig][pig][pig][pig][pig]------------------------------Do not invoke the wrath of the Irken elite. [flaming]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement