WoW Guild gets nasty

Started by
88 comments, last by Way Walker 17 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by DrjonesDW3d
I think people are also confused by the fact that it's possible to do other things while playing.

Most guilds allow people to take a night or two off if they have something they want to do. Most guilds also don't care if people take 15 minutes off from playing to help their kids with something or put them to bed. Also, if your guild has 45 people online, and you can only take 40 into the instance, than 5 people are free to do other things for a little while.

WTF they "allow" it? Do people really feel they have to ask permission from some faceless WoW users to do things in real life? Sad.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by frizzlefry
So, you are identifying values you've been taught throughout your life and applying them to WoW.

The sense of accomplishment is real. Does the electronic interaction truly translate to an interpersonal setting as wholly as you claim it does?

(And don't be offended. I'm not attacking you or your decisions. This is all so foreign to me, I want to give credit for any positives possible. Of course, feeling the effects of a spouse who plays WoW- not obsessively anymore- I am leaning towards the idea that this particular online accomplishment has only minor real world value. However, I am open minded.)

Hearing those values throughout your life, and actually applying them in life are two totally separate things. Really seeing the payoff has a HUGE impact.

I'm sure not everyone in this situation gets as much out of it as I do, but I at least know that I am not alone, by seeing how it has positively impacted others.

A lot has to do with how you play the game. There are lots of people who play as much or more than I do, who simply do other things inside the game with their time. One of my friend's girlfriends has spent a grand total of about 200 hours fishing in the game, simply because she finds it relaxing.

I'm simply trying to show people, that people who play the game in the way that the original post was reference, can get a lot out of the game. It can be a very beneficial thing.

I don't see how it's possible to work on any complex task with a large group of people for multiple weeks and walk away from it empty handed.
Not to mention how unhealthy it is to sit and stare at a screen all day. Unless your day job is being a farm hand, doing this much inactivity for pleasure sake is going to ruin your life.

I would rather hire someone who is healthy and not going to hit my insurance rates, rather than someone who has shown a knack for sitting on their ass.
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
Quote:Original post by Salsa
I don't know. Personally, I think working on building a house with a group of trusted friends would provide a much greater sense of accomplishment/achievement. A virtual success in a fictitious world seems like it would be an incredibly shallow feeling.

It's very common to hear cheers and yells of excitement after accomplishing some of the more difficult tasks. (if you watch some videos of 1st kills on youtube you can see this).

You don't get the feeling simply because the boss is dead, you get the feeling because all that hard work has finally paid off. It really is quite unreal.
Quote:Original post by Scet
I think people are also confused by the fact that it's possible to do other things while playing.

Most guilds allow people to take a night or two off if they have something they want to do. Most guilds also don't care if people take 15 minutes off from playing to help their kids with something or put them to bed. Also, if your guild has 45 people online, and you can only take 40 into the instance, than 5 people are free to do other things for a little while.

WTF they "allow" it? Do people really feel they have to ask permission from some faceless WoW users to do things in real life? Sad.

Is it sad that people need to ask permission to miss a practice for a highschool sports team?

What about if you are part of a meeting with 40 other people, where everyone needs to be present? How successful would it be if everyone can just get up and walk out to do other things whenever they want? Knowing that the meeting can't move forward unless everyone is present?

I realize that this kind of constraint might be a foreign concept when applied to a game, but again, for people in this situation, it's more of a hobby. When you have that many people who need to be present you need some kind of coordination.

I can't speak for everyone, but in my guild, we have no problem with people taking time off. We aren't going to say people can't go out and have fun with their friends because we need to raid. For us "allowing" it to happen simply means letting us know. The reason we do that, is so that we can prepare for it. It's easy to have 1 person not show up all the sudden and then leave 39 other people sitting there staring at the wall. If we know you aren't going to be there, we can prepare for it, rather than sitting around with the hopes of you showing up at some point. It's really not to much to ask.

Those constraints are simply the ones that exist when you have a large group of people who need to work together on something. I agree that it's a different thing, but won't necessarily say that it's a bad one.
Is it sad that people need to ask permission to miss a practice for a highschool sports team?

People never have to ask permission to do most things, you only have to inform others. When I had to do tests for school during my summer jobs, I've never asked for the day off, I told them I wouldn't be there. I said it politely, but the point is I didn't ask. Adults don't have to ask to do things, if I wanted to dress up as Batman and go out, I don't have to ask anyone.

Children(including highschool kids) are a different case though because they aren't adults. The staff at the school are responsible for them while the students are there. Children should tell those responsible for them where they are.

What about if you are part of a meeting with 40 other people, where everyone needs to be present? How successful would it be if everyone can just get up and walk out to do other things whenever they want? Knowing that the meeting can't move forward unless everyone is present?

Again, it's a game. Yes I would be there if I had nothing better to do, but any real-life transaction would out-weigh it(even if it was one person), and I'm not someone people should model their social levels after.

I agree that it's a different thing, but won't necessarily say that it's a bad one.

If you enjoy then it's not bad unless you brush off real responsibilities to play, like the neglectful parenting examples.
Quote:Original post by Mithrandir

I call shenanigans.

Quote:
- You must play at LEAST 7-8 Hours a day. This is on a normal day not just leveling up. We are NOT a softcore fun casual guild. We are hardcore dedicated players and are only looking for others to join us.

I dare you to show me one person who plays a minimum of 49 hours /week of WoW and is a "successful" person who isn't living off the teat of a spouse/parents/government.

Remember: that's 49 hours MINIMUM.

How about myself? Between the time the game first came out (11/23/04) and it's first anniversary (11/23/05) I had ~115 days played in the game (don't remember the exact value but have the screen shot somewhere). This is a little less than 1/3 of my time that year was spent playing the game. During that time, I also worked a full time job (at the same place I am still at), lived on my own (nor received any financial help from my parents) and was getting no help from the government.

There were also several people I knew who this was also true for, though many had higher playtimes (I think ~140-150 days was the upper limit). Again, that includes people who worked full time or were going to school.

*cough*6452ba563c59b771f65129ee7a66943d*cough*
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
This post just shows how truly ignorant you are of this topic. Allow me to list off a little of what we gain from our 'accomplishments' outside of the gear and screen shot for our website.

- Working with 40 other people every night, all to accomplish a common goal
- Putting time into 'tedious' work that you might not wanting to do, but seeing the benefit that properly preparing for something generates
- Pride in knowing that you put a lot of effort into something, and were able to accomplish what you set out to do.
- Knowing how to deal with a situation in which other people rely on you to perform under pressure
- Being able to make split second decisions caused by unpredicted changes in a stressful situation
- How to get along with and interact with people that you wouldn't normally approach and be friends with
- How to learn from people from different personality types and backgrounds from yourself
- Learning how to take something you really enjoy doing, and turn it into something more than just a pure form of entertainment.
- How to work in a structured environment, where people at the top make the big decisions, and people at the bottom figure out the details.

I don't know about you, but any of those things are things that I would look for in a resume. The kill of the boss is simply the end product, there is a LOT that goes into it that you (and others) are unaware of. If I was in a position to hire someone, and I found out that they have killed Nefarian or some other major boss, I would be very impressed, because I know that doing so takes everything from patience to teamwork.

Here is a little example. If you had some experience playing WoW, the 'hardcore' endgame is not simply running around killing things and gaining levels. That isn't what we do 8 hours a day.

A typical situation, would be us having an encounter that we have not yet beaten. We will log on 3-4 nights a week, and attempt that encounter. We come up with a plan, make sure everyone knows what they are doing, then engage in combat with the boss. We will all die. We will then look at our plan, what went wrong, and come up with a way to fix it. This entire process can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes depending on the boss. We will continue doing that, for 5-6 hours that night, each time, making a little bit of progress, learning something new, or getting some practice, but we will still not get the kill. We will do that all night, 3-4 nights a week, for maybe 4-5 weeks. This adds up to sometimes more than 100 attempts, all of which have ended with us dieing, not the boss. Eventually, we make that change that is the last piece of the puzzle. It's the final piece. We then engage and we come out the victor. The sense of accomplishment that you feel here is indescribable. It's something that you can feel pride in, knowing that everyone has accomplished it. The guild has invested literally thousands of man hours into this task, and it finally paid off. You figured it out, and can now move on to the next one.

If you think that process leaves you with nothing more than some new gear, you are very very mistaken.

Also, while difficult and challenging, this is not as intense as it may seem. I have been playing with many of the same guys for over 2 years now. We have a blast. During those times online we BS about all kinds of things, give eachother a hard time, and basically do what friends do when they hang out. It is really quite the social experience, especially when (as I said before) people are from such vastly different backgrounds than you would assume.

Now, I know you can sit there, without any idea of what you are talking about, and come up with another post based on false assumptions that you think makes sense, but I can tell you, as someone who has done this for 2 years, there is A LOT more to it than you are giving it credit for. I have learned so many valuable things doing this that extend far outside the realm of the game. It's easily been one of the most enjoyable and beneficial parts of my life thus far. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

First, let me dispell your ill conceived conclusions of me and inform you that I *have* played WoW, as well as other MMOs, including Runescape, Guild Wars, and Eternal Lands; I am no stranger to MMOs and I do not shun them as worthy pursuits of entertainment. WoW was an activity that I engaged in with some of my coworkers. At my peak, I was playing 3 or 4 nights a week for about 4 hours a night. It was how we socialized when we couldn't go out to a bar or club. I even picked the game up again when I was considering moving to Illinois so that I could stay in contact with them, but by then none of us were playing the game anymore. It was not, however, to the detriment of real social interaction, and I permanently cancelled my subscription when I started volunteering at a local theater house.

I have been playing various games of different types for the last 20 years. I do not deny that certain elements of WoW can be fun, I do not claim that entertainment is a waste of time. The problem emerges when you spend the equivalent of a full-time job on a game for nothing more than "a sense of self accomplishment." When I said "in 5 years your accomplishments will mean nothing" I did not mean "because all the gear you won will be lost" I meant "because the game will lack relevancy". The majority of WoW players today never played UO, and the "accomplishments" of the UO players that moved on to WoW mean nothing to the WoW players with no UO experience. Your experiences are not commutable. The only person who will care about your accomplishments is *you* and that amounts to not much more than intellectual masturbation. In contrast, volunteering with a local community service organization provides you with the same socialization opportunities, the same project management opportunities, provides a meaningful, positive impact for the community, and is demonstrable to future employers of skills that you have learned.

You continue to describe the WoW endgame, which I am already fully aware of due to my own experience with the game, as well as conversations with my friends. In fact, it was the deciding factor for me leaving the game. The WoW endgame is a bad game. It uses psychologically addicting elements to hook players and keep them playing. The "100 deaths before 1 victory" that you describe is not a "masterfully crafted puzzle." A sufficiently brilliant person should be able to figure out any puzzle without resulting to trial and error. Trial and error runs are the de facto indicator of poor game and puzzle design; this is known.

In relating your activities, you have only managed to make me disrespect you more. Here, you are capable of phenominal levels of teamwork and project planning, and yet you choose to use those skills in completely selfish and meaningless endeavors. As I said before, you could be volunteering at a local shelter. A "sense of accomplishment" is nothing, it can't feed you, it can't clothe you. Entertainment is important and valuable, but entertainment ended long before 8 hours a day. It is unhealthy and selfish.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by capn_midnight

First, let me dispell your ill conceived conclusions of me and inform you that I *have* played WoW, as well as other MMOs, including Runescape, Guild Wars, and Eternal Lands; I am no stranger to MMOs and I do not shun them as worthy pursuits of entertainment. WoW was an activity that I engaged in with some of my coworkers. At my peak, I was playing 3 or 4 nights a week for about 4 hours a night. It was how we socialized when we couldn't go out to a bar or club. I even picked the game up again when I was considering moving to Illinois so that I could stay in contact with them, but by then none of us were playing the game anymore. It was not, however, to the detriment of real social interaction, and I permanently cancelled my subscription when I started volunteering at a local theater house.

I have been playing various games of different types for the last 20 years. I do not deny that certain elements of WoW can be fun, I do not claim that entertainment is a waste of time. The problem emerges when you spend the equivalent of a full-time job on a game for nothing more than "a sense of self accomplishment." When I said "in 5 years your accomplishments will mean nothing" I did not mean "because all the gear you won will be lost" I meant "because the game will lack relevancy". The majority of WoW players today never played UO, and the "accomplishments" of the UO players that moved on to WoW mean nothing to the WoW players with no UO experience. Your experiences are not commutable. The only person who will care about your accomplishments is *you* and that amounts to not much more than intellectual masturbation. In contrast, volunteering with a local community service organization provides you with the same socialization opportunities, the same project management opportunities, provides a meaningful, positive impact for the community, and is demonstrable to future employers of skills that you have learned.

You continue to describe the WoW endgame, which I am already fully aware of due to my own experience with the game, as well as conversations with my friends. In fact, it was the deciding factor for me leaving the game. The WoW endgame is a bad game. It uses psychologically addicting elements to hook players and keep them playing. The "100 deaths before 1 victory" that you describe is not a "masterfully crafted puzzle." A sufficiently brilliant person should be able to figure out any puzzle without resulting to trial and error. Trial and error runs are the de facto indicator of poor game and puzzle design; this is known.

In relating your activities, you have only managed to make me disrespect you more. Here, you are capable of phenominal levels of teamwork and project planning, and yet you choose to use those skills in completely selfish and meaningless endeavors. As I said before, you could be volunteering at a local shelter. A "sense of accomplishment" is nothing, it can't feed you, it can't clothe you. Entertainment is important and valuable, but entertainment ended long before 8 hours a day. It is unhealthy and selfish.

Sorry, I didn't realize this was a I'm-a-better-person-because-I-volunteer-and-help-others debate. Now that I know that, I'll stop. There is obviously no point in 'discussing' this when everyone's mind is already made up. I could talk about the people I play WoW with, and how it has helped some of them keep them out of trouble and develop social skills they were lacking, but that would be pointless I guess, because they aren't starving on the streets, and why do things that help anyone, unless you are helping those who need it most, right? Also, even if we were going to help those people, playing a game is not the most efficient way to do so. Who cares if we enjoy it immensely, and if we have made a ton of great friendships that exist well outside the game. It's something we spent a lot of time on, and since it wasn't the most beneficial thing we could possibly be doing at the time, we are all wasting our lives away, and we should of seen that. I could also talk about how some of my guildmates are the most unselfish people I have ever met, but again, it's pointless, because it's a 'meaningless endeavor.'

I was going to go raid now, but I guess I'll go sit on the couch and watch some TV instead.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

P.S. Name me one (successful) game that doesn't use "psychologically addicting elements to hook players and keep them playing"
I think WOW South Park applies here :)

http://www.wowsouthpark.com/

'you've been pwnd!'

Everything is better with Metal.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement