WoW Guild gets nasty

Started by
88 comments, last by Way Walker 17 years, 3 months ago
http://www.scottio.us/~doug/revenge/dkp/forums/viewtopic.php?t=138&sid=5ca3dbb38629b855853d07498bb6085f Anyone else play on guilds like this?
"Hello all you boys and girls,I'd like to take you to the inside world.It's quite an irregular place to be,but never fear, you're safe with me.. . . Well maybe.(for I am the Frizzlefry)"
Advertisement
Wow, that's ermmm... a little bit frightening.

Last year I built and managed a WoW guild website for a friend and the most "extreme" thing I witnessed was nothing more then the usual high-school grade drama and squabbling between members. This on the other hand is taking it to another level.
It's a joke. Has to be. That's the most needy, desperate list of demands I've ever seen. It directly translates to "be my friend, exactly as I make you. I have no life."
THAT'S A FIFTY DKP MINUS!
Heh, guess I'm one of 'those' then-- as our guild is like that IF you want to be 'raider' rank. That seems fairly standard for a raiding guild. There are different types of guilds in games like World of Warcraft*. It takes a different level of seriousness depending on the goal.

Most "high-end" raiding guilds (meaning ones that can complete the hardest areas) have similar rules. Usually they are better worded, but the rules are the same.

Usually strong guilds have 2 ranks:
Casual- people who play whenever/whatever, but friends of other people in the guild
Raider- people who love to min/max, must attend any and all raids, and do whatever it takes to win.

*it's like this for a lot of different MMO's. Everquest was big on that too.

Edit: Meaning, the commitment (time) and such, not the immaturity of the post itself-- that's a pretty lame application page.
I don't see why it has to be a joke. Some level 60 player in school or just living with his parents without a job thinks he's the best ever. He probably just reached level 60 and think it's cool to speak in 1337 and use offensive language.

Apart from the 7-8 hours/day requirement all requirements are laughable.

One of their questions in the application is:
Quote:Can you handle being in a guild with a girl:

Quote:Original post by DukeAtreides076
THAT'S A FIFTY DKP MINUS!

That guy is last year. Here is his replacement
Quote:Original post by GameCreator
It's a joke. Has to be. That's the most needy, desperate list of demands I've ever seen. It directly translates to "be my friend, exactly as I make you. I have no life."

It's not :( I'm sure the writer of that list was totally earnest.

For reference, here's a list of requirements for the infamous Death and Taxes guild:

Quote:
1. Your gear is a combination of tier 2.5 and tier 3.
2. You are be able to raid from 7pm EST to 1am EST and from 5pm EST to when we pick our bloody faces up off the floor on weekends. You are expected to attend raids 6 days a week.
3. You MUST have a Mic/Ventrilo, and it's imperative that you speak on Ventrilo.
4. You MUST have significant raiding experience in Naxxramas and be familiar with most encounters.
5. You can independenly farm your own consumables for raids and in addition to that, farm enough for the other 39 people. Just in case.
Quote:Original post by necreia
Most "high-end" raiding guilds (meaning ones that can complete the hardest areas) have similar rules. Usually they are better worded, but the rules are the same.

The problem with the guild are stuff like the following:

Quote:If you "like to listen to music while leveling" Great! Find a new guild. Our guild currently acts and functions like a family and that cannot happen if there are people shy and unwilling to come onto Vent.

Quote:We are also looking for people who can handle being called a retard if they fuck up or get the position of the "guild punching bag".

Quote:You must not be easily offended. If you get offended by racial slurs or cursing do not bother reading furthur

Guilds which requires some people to play at least 7 hours/day are usually serious enough not to actually encourage racial slurs, offensive language and tell people they can never listen to music.
Looks like your typical "elitest sausagefest of the young, virgin, and jobless" guild to me.

I prefer the "active community of mature players", which while having some similar rules, differs in their detail, and extremely in composition and friendliness.

I enjoyed some of the later in Planetside. Some of the rules were similar:

1) Active. Not 7-8 hours/day, but the "core" probably played a minimum of 7-8 hours/week. This allows people with jobs and social lives to participate.
2) Maturity. Pretty self explanitory. Minimum age limits repeatedly instated, although some exceptions were made on the basis of voucher. "Core" probably ranged from around 18-50.
3) Plenty of swearing. Somewhat in hand with #2.
4) No deroggatory remarks/swear words. In hand with #2. Helped us keep some women around, I think.
5) Teamwork required. Even the vets didn't get to bend this rule much. Very actively enforced, on the basis that those constantly wandering off to do their own thing would be better off in another guild.
6) Being on teamspeak required. In hand with #5. We prefered to coax new members onto teamspeak rather than banhammer them out for not immediately doing so, but the rule was enforced eventually.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement