Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sunandshadow

AI reading recommendations?

So assuming I was insane and wanted to start learning about AI with the goal of working on neural nets and natural language, where should I start reading? I''ve had a medium amount of linguistics, basic programming, basic psychology, and some instruction on creative problem solving and contingency planning that seem relevant. I''m already reading the archive here, and I would prefer book recommendations to web recommendations, but I will take both. Also, does anyone know what is the best emulation of natural language production that has been done so far?

If you''re interested in real, cutting edge, academic ALife (as AI is to psychology, ALife is to biology) then try...

http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/users/ezequiel/alife-page/alife.html

I know you''re probably not, but it''s all good stuff ;-).

Mike

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''m reading "Artificial intelligence,a modern approach",Stuart Russel and Peter Norvig.I think it''s a good introductory book. It covers lots of different things. And it''s easily readable.

This is one of the most frustrating topics to delve into, because it is so darn hard! Just when you think you have a handle on how it all works, you realize something else that just compounds the problem ten-fold.

Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach is good. I have that book.

Introduction to Artificial Intelligence by Philip C. Jackson, Jr. is pretty good also. I have this one too.

Also this one if you can find it: Logic Programming and Knowledge Engineering by Tore Amble.

If you can find this one at a university library, check it out. It touches quite a bit on the philosophy of knowledge and understanding, but is also very hands-on and descriptive: Building Large Knowledge Based Systems by Doug Lenat.

Also, read this web documnet for some really good insights: The Dimensions of Context Space. You have to click to the page and download the Word document.

Actually, I think my last suggestion does a good job of explaining how incredible knowledge and comprehension really is. And, it is easily accessible: just download it and print what part of it you want.

Edited by - bishop_pass on March 21, 2001 6:31:14 PM