any MPEG experts out there?

Started by
1 comment, last by a2k 23 years, 1 month ago
hey everyone. anyone know a place where i can find source code to the MPEG2 format with PROGRAM stream code. i''m working on a streaming video project, but the source code at the Berkeley and Wotsit sites don''t have SYSTEMS code, only VIDEO code. any help is gladly appreciated. thanks. a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Advertisement
Well first off I''d like to bring up the subject of licencing. You see the guys who made the Mpeg2 standard have this odd type of licencing setup. So if you plan to make any type of money with this project or put this into a game which makes money you''d better cough up somewhere around $20,000. Another option is to use Microsoft''s latest DirectX 8.0 SDK and use the DirectShow interfaces (which have already been licenced). This will play Mp2,Mp3 and down the line. If your intent on doing what you origionaly stated then you''d better look to the Linux OS. You may find the code your looking for there. Keep in mind though that the Mpeg2 standard is also the DVD standard and the Motion Picture Association keeps some of the information you may need locked up tighter than fort knocks.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
actually, i''m doing this for a class. so it''s for educational purposes only. and my course advisor is gonna fry my ass if i can''t find something, cuz i haven''t done any coding on my project yet. all these sdks and implementations cost money, and my advisor thinks i can just merrily download an implementation somewhere. it sucks when you''re expected to do something, and you cant do it and get blamed for it, just because the corporate world won''t let you get it.

yeah, my advisor wants me to learn linux, too. this is such a bumb deal. how is coding on linux? never done it before, and i only got 8 weeks left, to do mpeg program stream conversion to RTP ip stream.

also, i was considering the direct x 8.0 sdk, but i''m not sure if all the functionality i need is there. anyone who uses dx8 for mpeg video streaming have any say on it? if it is powerful enough, and i have yet to research and find out, then i''m sold...

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement