Which is the Best method to store and manage a 3D World

Started by
5 comments, last by ogracian 23 years, 1 month ago
Hello I am begining with a project similar to Froger 2 3D or Pacman 3D, where the game is viewed from a Fixed Top-down camera view, and I am using OpenGL for it and I would use 3D Studio MAX as my level designer exporting my 3D World to the ASE File Format, but my trouble is Which could be my best choice for store my 3D World?, I really appreciate some addvice about it. The Game Will look somthing like Crash Bandicoot, which is a Fixed view, so I want to avoid any unnecesary polygon drawing. PS: I Really apreciate so much if any could give some URLS about 3D Engines design and how to store and manage simple 3D Worlds. Thanks in addvice!!
Advertisement
OK, if you are keeping the camera in the same place, or only doing some simple fly ins and outs or what-not, just stick the whole world in one linked list of polys, and store things such as objects, stuff that moves and so on as seperate linked lists of polys.

If you world is moving about alot, and frequently not displaying things at once, try looking at octrees or bsp or somthing

As for tutorials, try right here at gamedev.net

ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Visit Tiberia: it''s bigger, it''s badder, it''s pouyer...
Hello

Thanks for your answer it really help me.

Since my game only will scroll the camera above the world in a fixed top-down view I think I will use the linked list method to store my world and the other linked list for my objects (Actors)

But to draw my World, I must go across all my World's list drawing vertex by vertex all my world (Using OpenGL) or any could tell me what will be a better method to draw my world, I mean maybe Display Lists? Thanks.

Best Regards!

Edited by - ogracian on March 21, 2001 1:40:32 PM
quote:Original post by ogracian

Hello I am begining with a project similar to Froger 2 3D or Pacman 3D, where the game is viewed from a Fixed Top-down camera view, and I am using OpenGL for it and I would use 3D Studio MAX

Just out of curiosity what did you think of the Frogger2 3D engine and it''s ''fixed'' camera viewpoint?
Hi

I know that Froger 2 its not exactly a "Fixed Camera" which stay in just one place, it can Zoom, scroll and rotate in some parts of the level I think it is more like a Path tracking camera, But I called it "Fixed camera", because it is a Fixed Top-down view, I mean, it is not like a camera used by FPS.

Regards!
If you are willing to implement a fixed top down camera, and to endure some constraints on your level design, you can divide your map into squares on a 2D grid. This can speed up rendering and clipping, since you can easily check which squares should be visible and then only deal with the polygons in the visible squares. You could handle this as an array of linked lists if you like. Its probably only worth the trouble of implementing a grid if your level is fairly large.
Thanks for all your help, I think I have all the info needed!.

Best Regards!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement