• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeVore

OpenGL To list or not to list. That is the OpenGL question.

This topic is 6396 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have been writing a model and scene loader and have got to the point were, having loaded a pile of shapes, I want to draw them to the screen. My question is: Should I use display lists? As far as I can see there are three ways of doing it. 1) No list(current fudge). The scene calls draw on each object in it which then uses glVertex etc to draw itself. 2) One list per object. Each object, on creation, builds a display list and when the scene draws, it sets the camera position, translates and calls the list. 3) One list for all the static objects in the scene. If anyone can offer me other ways of doing it, please let me know. Cheers, DeVore

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
1) is simple and in most cases good enough
I do not think it is any big performance difference between 2 and 3 so 2 should be better since it is more flexible. The speed improvements with display lists is very card (driver) specific.

If speed is an issue should you use some kind of display list and/or
4) vertex arrays (many different types of)

you should mainly only use lists for static objects that aint to big eg not more than 64kb that change materials/states often.

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!