A month gone by without a beta?

Started by
5 comments, last by ChrisE 23 years ago
I haven''t said too much on here lately and that means I''m hard at work The next beta will have BSP based objects combined with the terrain engine and some other big features. Be patient because I want to make sure the next release will work fairly well for everyone. I''ve received a number of emails asking for demos and trial versions of PR4. I will not be releasing anything like this until I''m able to create a demo that will knock your socks off. My goal right now is to finish the new engine and get it in the hands of the people that have already licensed it. Chris
Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
Advertisement
Thanks to Chris for your update.

i am one of the many people waiting patiently for the next Beta.

really excited with the coming "BSP based objects combined with the terrain engine".

will you be releasing a example that is similar to LAND1 ?

Tonight I got the player movement and collision code working. I made a simple square house in Q3radiant and I''m now able to place a bunch of houses around the terrain and walk through them with proper collision. You can even overlap BSP objects, for example I rotated a couple of the houses upside down and made an angled ramp from the ground up to the roof of another.

I also have tracing through BSP''s ready, so you can detect where a bullet hits, or bounce grenades off the buildings.

Still need to work on some visibility issues, like turning off the terrain completely if you''re inside a building and can''t see outside. I also want to disable the ground collision checks so you can go below the terrain while inside a BSP object.

It''s getting there...

This BSP stuff is great! You''ll be able to use it for other things too, like moving vehicles or spaceships (think of the big cruisers from Star Wars and being able to fly around them in a tiny ship). There''s really no need to use the old clunky collision routines now. I don''t have collision detection between two BSP objects but you could probably get away with a single or set of axis aligned bounding boxes for moving vehicles.
>I also have tracing through BSP''s ready, so you can detect
>where a bullet hits, or bounce grenades off the buildings.

that is really cool.

>Still need to work on some visibility issues, like turning off
>the terrain completely if you''re inside a building and can''t >see outside. I also want to disable the ground collision checks >so you can go below the terrain while inside a BSP object.

yes, need that so that we can generate underground tunnels and buildings. this way we can have more assets both on top of the terrain and also underneath it.

>There''s really no need to use the old clunky collision routines
>now. I don''t have collision detection between two BSP objects >but you could probably get away with a single or set of axis >aligned bounding boxes for moving vehicles.

am i right to say that there will be new collision routines ?
what will you be providing eventually ?

if ((collision == new)&&(collision == good))
{
me = happy;
while (!endof.Projects)
Projects.productivity++;
}

if we want to create a map that is completely indoors, can we do away with the landscape part alltogether? For example maybe I have an adventure game.. I have an outside part, but when I get to the main building and go in, it could load the next level and be only indoors (where the landscape part would be completely unnecisary), is this do-able?

Anyway... all the stuff yer doin sounds great. I can''t wait! Is there an ETA for the next beta?

- Rich
I can`t wait for the new beta, are we talking weeks or months?.
Also does anyone know of a util to convert 3ds to Q3radiant?

Cheers.
The new beta should be available within a few days. I need to write up some documentation on how to use all the new features in LStudio and fix a few more bugs before I give it out.

I want to modify LStudio so you can make BSP only levels, but this will take a bit of work and won''t be available in the upcoming beta.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement