Any GLUT like things for Dx8?

Started by
2 comments, last by Kilj 23 years, 1 month ago
Is there anythinfg like GLUT out there but for directx. Since I have to use direct x for things like sound adn input, I might as well use it for graphics also. However the amount of overhead required to just to see something on the screen with directx 8 is around the same as opengl''s. But not with GLUT... So unless there is something like glut but for direct x, Ill be switching ot OpenGL. also, which one do you think is better. OpneGL or Dx8?
something...
Advertisement
OK, first of all, when you say DX8, I assume that you mean D3D in DX8.

OK, I don''t know too much about the latest DX, but DX 7 had the D3DX or somthing, that did niftey features, but I don''t think it did anything about window setup.

For the large part, I wouldn''t recomend using GLUT for seting up windows, I find that home brewed code is usualy better for this task, and then you can keep reusing it again and again. GLUT is only realy suited to small demos.

IMO, OpenGL beets D3D by far. But D3D is catching up...

Also, just remember that DX8 != D3D8. Keep this in mind when asking questions.

Also, using OpenGL for graphics, as well as DSnd and so on for sound and so on is not that bad. This is what I do, and it works quite well.

ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Visit Tiberia: it''s bigger, it''s badder, it''s pouyer...
Okay then, thanks.
But why is GLUT only good for small demos? is it not fast, unstable, or something else?
something...
It is limited. You can not build a fancy interface with it because the message loop is in the library.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement