Direct3D in Web Browser

Started by
2 comments, last by Elmo Song 17 years, 3 months ago
hi, I have been trying to create a web control using c# and directx. However although it does compile, web control throws runtime exception. Just wonder if there's anyone manage to create a Direct3D viewer/Editor that runs in a web browser
It's easy to earn respect... just work-hard and smart AND stop playing Wow in office
Advertisement
For fairly obvious reasons most modern browsers insulate content from the underlying OS/computer. DirectX requires low-level access to the OS and hardware in order to do anything interesting which is at odds with the high-security insulation in your browser...

I've got a feeling I've read about some success stories, but they generally require full security priveledges and for the code to be running in the trusted zone (etc..) - something that is only possible where the developer has tight control over the browser. Deploying to the general internet becomes nearly impossible as most browsers (hopefully) won't grant that level of access to content.

Maybe someone else will post more details, but for the most part you can assume it won't be easy [wink]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

There are 3(that I know of) ActiveX controls that run OGRE in a web browser.

Take a look at this thread on the Ogre Forums. The starter of the thread made one and there are two more listed.
ya~~, in fact i suspect so... (not easy). Previously i manage to run OSG within a browser by using a ActiveX control(using c++). However after numerous attempt to do that with direct3d + c#, still failing to do that, I decided to post in forum, hopeful someone can give me some pointers :>.

In fact, i suspect the chances of running D3D + c++ is much higher than C# but i can't confirm this (T_T)

Anyway, thks for the sharing, guys.... :>
It's easy to earn respect... just work-hard and smart AND stop playing Wow in office

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement