what language was .....

Started by
4 comments, last by Mccy257 23 years ago
What prog. language were these games created in: Pac-man Excitebike (NES) Zelda I (NES) thanks- is there any source code available or are these games too hard to hack? Thanks!
Advertisement
I know that the teo NES games used C and some ASM to call the hardware directly.. as for source code - the only readable code youl get is ASM code

--LordKaT

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
How about Pac-Man? That could be created using C right? Once I finish learning C out of this dummy book, where do you recommend I go to learn how to make a pac-man style game or a tetris style game? THANKS
well u can program all those games in c but pacman is the only one that was made in asm when it was first created for the arcade
U would be hard pressed to find a computer language with graphics capability that doesnt have pacman or a clone for it. So just pick one out of a hat

Get Banner At: http://www.crosswinds.net/~druidgames/resist.jpg
BetaShare - Run Your Beta Right!
The original 1980 Pac-Man (Puck-Man) was in assembly.

Most of the ports and bootlegs were in assembly.

I''d actually say that at least 60% of the code in the NES games mentioned was assembly.

For a pure Pac-Man clone on a PC, any language would be fine, BASIC, C, C++, ASM, any - machines have become much faster (my C64 ran at 1MHz, now one of the dev machines here runs at 1GHz! - quite a way) and compilers can actually do quite a good job of optimising now.

Pac-Man: Adeventures in Time for the PC was mainly C++ written in a C style with occasional classes used for some data. A tiny part of the graphics core used assembly. (www.creative-asylum.com/pac.html)

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement