Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what language was .....

This topic is 6110 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What prog. language were these games created in: Pac-man Excitebike (NES) Zelda I (NES) thanks- is there any source code available or are these games too hard to hack? Thanks!

I know that the teo NES games used C and some ASM to call the hardware directly.. as for source code - the only readable code youl get is ASM code

--LordKaT

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

How about Pac-Man? That could be created using C right? Once I finish learning C out of this dummy book, where do you recommend I go to learn how to make a pac-man style game or a tetris style game? THANKS

The original 1980 Pac-Man (Puck-Man) was in assembly.

Most of the ports and bootlegs were in assembly.

I''d actually say that at least 60% of the code in the NES games mentioned was assembly.

For a pure Pac-Man clone on a PC, any language would be fine, BASIC, C, C++, ASM, any - machines have become much faster (my C64 ran at 1MHz, now one of the dev machines here runs at 1GHz! - quite a way) and compilers can actually do quite a good job of optimising now.

Pac-Man: Adeventures in Time for the PC was mainly C++ written in a C style with occasional classes used for some data. A tiny part of the graphics core used assembly. (www.creative-asylum.com/pac.html)

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com