mdx2 is it real or vapor?

Started by
11 comments, last by devronious 17 years, 2 months ago
I got critizism about not using mdx2 from someone. I thought it was not officially supported by Microsoft just yet. Is it supported now? Is there docs for it and is it becoming mainstream for mdx apps? Your comments are appreciated so I can figure out if critizism is justified or not and whether to update my code, Devin
Advertisement
It's dead.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Last time I tried to use it (before the December 06 DXSDK) MDX2 would throw a TimeBombException every time I tried to run my application. Needless to say that prompted me to move back to MDX1. I don't know if it will be supported in the future, but I wouldn't recommend starting to use it right now.
-janoside [Firestorm Engine]
officially, at this time, MDX 2 and future versions are no more, while MDX 1 is now in maintanance mode. MDX 1 will only recieve necessary updataes, ie - security.

XNA has taken over going forward.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

MDX2.0 is now part of the XNA framework.
Quote:Original post by Promit
It's dead.

Yeah it's dead.
"Managed DirectX 2.0 has been included in the SDK as a beta since October 2005. Once the XNA framework was announced Microsoft confirmed that Managed DirectX 2.0 would never ship and would be replaced by the XNA framework. The Managed DirectX 2.0 beta files will stop working on October 5th 2006 (announcement, discussion) and code needs to be migrated back to MDX 1.1 or forward to the XNA framework."
Note to self: Next time book on microsoft technology in my case "managed directx" is delayed over and over get a hint and stop wasting your time and move on to something else. I can't believe I didn't see this coming. I guess I was to busy reading all the managed directx books I already had!

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi [wink]

At least the French had the good grace not to timebomb Charles VI :p
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Is the xna framework reliable at this time? Is anyone using it? Does it cost money?

Sorry for the delayed response,

Devin
Quote:Original post by devronious
Is the xna framework reliable at this time? Is anyone using it? Does it cost money?

Sorry for the delayed response,

Devin

Yes, Yes, No.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
I looked at and downloaded the xna framework and it looks to be proprietary to the xna game studio application. I also read that the xna is for experimenters and students only. It doesn't sound like a professional target. Has anyone used it in a professional application?

-Devin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement