Intro to Game Programming with DX8 book

Started by
4 comments, last by E_Skool 23 years ago
I got the Ian Parberry book Introduction to Computer Game Programming With DirectX 8.0 from Amazon today. I preordered it because I like to have a book when I''m learning something. You want to know what it will teach you about using DirectX 8.0? NOTHING! The only reason it says 8.0 is because that is the SDK they provide you with. From page 3
quote: Does this look familiar? This book is a short, inexpensive version of the author''s book Learn Computer Game Programming With DirectX 7.0. If you already own that book, don''t buy this one. The difference between that book and this is that: This book does not contain chapters 13-15. This book does not have code listings at the end of each chapter. Instead, the are included in a pdf supplement on the companion CD. This book has three new appendices. (Owners of Learn Computer Game Programming With DirectX 7.0 can, if they wish, get them online from http://larc.csci.unt.edu/book/updates.html.) This book includes the recently released DirectX 8.0 SDK on the CD instead of the DirectX 7.0a SDK.
Sorry about ranting, but I''m pretty disappointed. I''ll probably still use the book, but I wanted to give you guys a heads up in case you were planning to get it to learn DirectX 8.0. Thank goodness for NeXe and Drunken Hyena.
Advertisement
Yes most books are shit... reading the reviews from amazon is usually a good idea before buying a 50 dollar book.. but how can you when you pre-order it?

Moral of the story is dont buy anything til you get critism good or bad about it... ( Unless it comes from an already good author like Lamothe but even then you never know )

-=Space
I usually do my homework before buying a programming book, and have been very happy with my choices until now. Oh well, live and learn. Upon looking further at the book it doesn''t seem that bad, I just feel like I was mislead. On the cover it does say "Condensed and updated version of Learn to Program Computer Games with DirectX 7.0," but that pic wasn''t up when I ordered it or I might have held off.
Grrr, I forgot to sign in. That above post was mine. Sorry.
It says that owners of the DirectX 7.0 book can download the new appendices if they wish to do so. Can victims...err, purchasers of the DirectX 8.0 book download chapters 13, 14 and 15 of the old book if they wish to do so?

I suppose a PDF supplement on the CD is an ok, but for code listings? Why not just supply them as the original .C and .H files? Or are they already in source form on the CD?

Steve ''Sly'' Williams  Code Monkey  Krome Studios
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
It seems to have all the code in source files as well as having it in the pdf's

Edited by - E_Skool on March 21, 2001 10:24:02 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement