Collision detection library

Started by
3 comments, last by PG1 17 years, 3 months ago
I really can't decide what collision library to use since neither of them has all the features I'd like. Problem is that I need to update the collision meshes every frame for animated models and still be able to perform ray-intersect tests for hit testing. OPCODE is the most robust lib IMO but this is optimized for static models and gives too big performace loss rebuilding the collision meshes every frame. SOLID is a bit slower and not as memory friendly. However it can be use to update the vertices pretty efficiently, but I'll lose the ability to perform a ray-intersect test. What would you have done? Is there any other nice libraries out there? I'm sure there's lots of people who have found a solution to this problem and all of 'em didn't write their own collision testing functions right? :)
Advertisement
There are a number of API's out there that allow advanced collision detection with maximum control with efficient code. Physx is one that includes a pretty expansive library for collision. The learning curve is pretty steep but is highly flexible and unless you want a planet blowing up into a billion pieces all with ray-intersect then you can even run it on a single core processor of around 2.5Ghz. I highly recommend it.
www.ageia.com
OPCODE

"Now works with deformable meshes".

Haven't seen their implementation though.

BTW, if it's only for raytrace, and you want to perform ray-triangle tests on animated models (for say, shooting players), best to write your own routine. It's relatively easy. But on the other hand, if you want a fully featured collision system, opcode, or the ones provided with physics libraries.

Everything is better with Metal.

I too would like to recommend Ageia's PhysX SDK. Although it's geared towards a multitude of things, physics probably being the tightest fit, it allows for dynamic and/or real-time solutions. It's extremely stable and efficient. In fact, it has matured a lot since its name change from Novodex. I'm probably a bit biased since I develop on PhysX hardware, but give it a shot, and try out some tech demos.

I hear good things about Bullet too, but again, it's not a collision detection library in the strict sense. I don't know of any pure CD libs.
Hey, I'm the anonymous poster. I couldn't remember my old username so I made a similar one.
Anyway I put in an email to the webmaster at Ageia asking for a forum. If they put one up then there will be a huge area to get help from all users of the API. I'll be the first one there :P

Edit: apparently there already is a forum but it is rather difficult to find so here is a direct link.
http://devsupport.ageia.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=1949

[Edited by - PG1 on January 23, 2007 1:33:49 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement