Need sound card advice

Started by
6 comments, last by Brian Timmons 17 years, 2 months ago
I used some Christmas money to pick up a set of these speakers... http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/CA/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=9586 Right now I have a factory sound card that came with my Dell, with 2.1 stereo speakers attached. What I'm looking for is a sound card that supports 5.1 surround and could be used for composition and gaming. Does anyone know of a good sound card priced around $100-$150 that could fit the bill? I pretty much compose by sequencers and VST's, so having a giant breakout box isn't necessary at this point. Brian
_____________________Brian Timmons, ComposerMy Music
Advertisement
For years I used the Sound Blaster Audigy Plat. 2 soundcard. Some people "poo poo" this soundcard, but it did fine for me for 6 years or so. I was able to use it for gaming and also use it with Sonar, Acid, Soundforge and many East West plugins.

You can also get the front panel, which allows you to plug in at the front of the computer and start recording.

It maybe a little more than your price range (around 200-300 bucks), but it was a steady soundcard for years and sounds like a good fit for what you're wanting to do.

Hope that helps!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I would also recommend some creative card, I have had mostly good experiences with mine (some problems with EAX though)..
Hmm. I've heard good things about the Audigy. Perhaps I'll wait until my tax return comes back and get one then. Thanks for help, guys!

Brian
Maby you should try E-MU if you like Creative cards? E-MU actually make the soundcards for creative, but they still have their own seperate company. Here is a list of their products:

http://www.emu.com/products/welcome.asp?category=505

I have the 1616M PCI and its the best soundcard ive ever got. Be warned though . . . the Soundbalster interface is geared towards low to mid level users. E-MU are for the pros and it took me a while to get it all worked out ;) Prices range from just over £100 to over £300.

Good luck!
Poogg, do you know if any of the EMU cards support a 5.1 speaker system? All the high end cards from Soundblaster I looked at are all geared towards 7.1. I'm starting to wonder if I should take the speakers back and get yet another upgrade.

Brian
I'd say 7.1 is over-rated at the moment :) not many films or music support it. Yeah E-MU dose support 5.1 surroundsound, however, only throuhg component cables. E-MU (for the moment) does not support AC3 5.1 passthrough a S/PDIF optical or COAX cable, like most Soundbalsters. :( Here is the unofficial E-MU forums.

http://www.productionforums.com/index.php?f=52&sid=78f2870a38def46ff7f55ab8298cfb9f

If you search a bit in there will will find all your answers. I have to say, E-MU have a few problems, but all in all, its a powerful system. :)
Thanks for all the tips, Poogg. For now I think I've got my mind made up on on the Soundblaster X-Fi cards, since they support 5.1 and they actually have toggles between "music creation" and "gaming" modes.

Brian

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement