Versioning options

Started by
5 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 2 months ago
I have a mature project that I'd like to move to a versioning system. I basically have the main project, and at least two different partial attempts to port it to other languages. I'd like all three to be in their own versioning system, but have related logins, etc. I have a GoDaddy webspace server. My understanding is that I can't install anything like subversion or CVS because I don't have shell access. If it's at all possible, I'd like to set up versioning systems on my webspace, so it's all in a single place. Barring the above, I'd need to move to a site like sourceforge. But I'm not a fan of sourceforge (a little on the commercial side for my tastes). Are there any other options? I'm not against spending a little money if it comes to that.
[size=2]Darwinbots - [size=2]Artificial life simulation
Advertisement
there are in fact several viable options, it could be as simple as running a quick forum search: i.e. if you actually do check out the subversion website, you'll surely notice the resource/links page, which happens to link to several providers of free svn hosting (some of which specifically allow closed source projects, too). Likewise, checking out the numerous threads here at gamedev.net should give you plenty of pointers.
I've found a few free SVN hosters, but they tend to be a little on the slow side as far as bandwidth. What I'm primarily asking is if there is a way to set up a versioning system on a web server that you don't have shell access to.
[size=2]Darwinbots - [size=2]Artificial life simulation
Most hosting sevices will set up these kind of services for a small fee, just ask.

theTroll
Darcs normally uses bare webspace to distribute source repositories, and patches users make can be emailed to the author, who can easily merge them to his local repo, and then upload it to the webspace.
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!
Also, IIRC there's a svn webDAV module for apache use available, too (?)
http://subversion.tigris.org/webdav-usage.html
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/html-chunk/ch06.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement