• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
WBlacklidge

Tools Programming C++ Wrapper in C#

This topic is 4140 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am new to these forums and I did a search looking for this topic, and I found similar topics but nothing that addressed what I wanted to accomplish. I am currently working to put together a series of tools. One of which is a Particle System. The Direct3D wrapper that I am using is C++. I want to shove the c++ wrapper into a DLL and use it in a windows forms c# application. My question is that, is this possible? Is this the best way to go about creating my tools? I traditionally have done all of my tools in MFC and C# forms are much easier to put together and produce better results. Thanks a lot!

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by WBlacklidge
I want to shove the c++ wrapper into a DLL and use it in a windows forms c# application. My question is that, is this possible?

Yep - what you are looking for is called the pinvoke mechanism - it allows you to call native code from unmanaged code. There are lots and lots of resources out there on it, so just search for it. (Brief Intro)

Quote:
Is this the best way to go about creating my tools? I traditionally have done all of my tools in MFC and C# forms are much easier to put together and produce better results.

I'm sure this is up for debate, but I see it as pretty convienient. Of course, you are always going to have to juggle maintaining the managed->native links vs just converting it to C#. I guess it depends on how complicated your interfaces are and how much of them you have to expose.

Thanks a lot! I am going to look into it. I am going to use the tutorials to create my dll and then I have to figure out how to get a real time loop, something like the OnTimer() call in MFC. I hear that I am going to have to look into using the Timer class in C#. I just need to be able to loop as if it were a main game loop or something. I have only started working with C# in the last 2 weeks so I am still pretty unfamiliar with it. Thanks for the advice!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!