• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

MSVS8 and VCBUILD descrepencies.

This topic is 4048 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have a solution which compiles without any errors in the Visual Studio 8 IDE, but when I try to compile the same solution using the vcbuild.exe command line tool everything compiles fine, and then I get a load of linker errors reporting unresolved externals. I am using /rebuild in both, and I am also specifying the same configuration in each case. Does anybody have any ideas as to what might be causing these descrepencies? Has anybody seen anything like this before? Kind regards, Mark Coleman

Advertisement
Haven't seen this.... VCBuild tools along just fine for me from the command line.

What files are the missing symbols supposed to be pulled in from? Are there perhaps multiple copies of them sitting around somewhere?

Oh, and most importantly, is this C++ or not? (EDIT: Nevermind, you're talking about VCBuild rather than MSBuild, so of course it's C++.)

I've checked for multiple copies, and there aren't any.

If there were, how would this affect the command line tool and not the IDE?

Am I incorrent in assuming that the IDE just call the command line tool and then feeds the output into the build pane?

Puzzled!

Mark

I dunno; I'm shooting in the dark here. The only thing I could think of to cause this would be for the situation WRT paths and current directories to be different, such that different sets of files are compiled/linked.

IIRC, the IDE does not call VCBUILD. Instead, it uses an internal build model, of which VCBUILD is a copy. (This is different for other languages, where the same MSBuild assembly is used by the IDE and the commandline tools.)

This is unbelievably annoying!

Would it help to know that I am compiling 3 projects within one solution, and only one of them fails?

I will try compiling them under different confirgurations to see if I can work it out.

Thanks,

Mark

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement