forums, API, unix, bah where do i begin?!

Started by
10 comments, last by alpeffers 17 years, 2 months ago
okay so I'm taking an OpenGL programming class, the prof said "look to my webpage for a tutorial on how-to install the API", and so I did. I'm sure most people can guess the outcome(why I'm posting here) Sooo after some googling I cannot find any quick, "Ohh heres whatcha need to make it work" pages, and I get LOTSA warnings and errors on instal. First off I suppose I'm not sure if this is quite the correct forum to be posting this in. Secondly, heres my Linux setup(this laptop) its a Dell Inspiron 640m(1404 i think in states) so it has no dedicated graphics processor, just a plain ole Intel onboard. Also I'm running Ubuntu Edgy Eft, I will be posting there too in hopes of help. Thanks! PS: I will have a list of the problems from the makefile and such.
Advertisement
I suggest you ask the professor or your classmates for help. You will get better help more quickly than asking in a forum.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
I asked my prof, he said post online ask around...

my fallback is to work in windows so I'm not too concerned with time yet.
Ubuntu? That's debian-based now, right? If so, get the development package from synaptic -- search for "opengl" in synaptic. I think the package you're looking for is titled something like "gllib-dev0"...maybe it's called "libgl-dev0" or "mesa-gl-dev0". Point is if you search for "opengl" you'll find all the packages with OpenGL in their description. Read through the descriptions to find out which package you need. Sorry I can't be more helpful, I haven't used linux is a few months, but you only have to look through a few descriptions to find the right one (only 3 or 4 packages end with dev0 if you search for opengl).
Looking at my own installed packages I would say that the package you need is libgl1-mesa-dev. I hope it helps. (And that it is the correct package ;) )

[Edited by - Wc-duck on January 25, 2007 5:11:23 PM]
While not the fastest things around, linux support for intel's integrated graphics solutions are pretty well supported due to the fact that intel has open-sourced their drivers, so you should have solid and reasonably speedy hardware 3D support for OpenGL.

Also, I'm sure you're aware, but in the off chance that you aren't, always make sure to at least check your work on the instructor's grading setup if you're handing in source code that he'll be compiling.

My instructors worked this way in college and occasionally some student would hand in un-checked work from some other compiler or library version, etc just assuming that all would be well and then the program explodes and refuses to compile. Worse than that, subtle errors might be introduces prompting the instructor to believe you've made a mistake, rather than had a configuration conflict.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

my prof isn't too concerned with the code, more on the fact that you can draw things in openGL...

and hes quite lenient(sp?) on which os we compile it for... which is why my backup is windows, as i know the marker will use that.

quit trying to make me retreat to windows ppl! :P

anyway done whats been suggested to still no avail :S

so i'm going to go through all the packages i have installed and make sure i don't have conflicting or redundant, or worse... and remove em.
then try again.

*cross' fingers*
Ubuntu doesn't come with gcc installed by default, does it? If not, you'll have to install it yourself. In a terminal:

sudo apt-get install build-essential
When you try to compile, what are the exact errors you get?
Its not a compilation error, its an error in the makefile form the glut3.7.tar.gz files i downloaded.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement