• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CharlesFXD

WW2 Strategy Game: Game Rules Help Please.

This topic is 4226 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys. This is for a board game BUT game rules are game rules and I'm really hoping that I can get some feedback and help. I’ll get to the jist of it. I need a little help with a second world war divisional level board game. I’m tapped dry for ideas in one section that has to do with unavoidable occurrences during the war. A little background on the area I’m having trouble with: I’m basing the players turns on initiative in the three theaters of war. Western Europe, the Eastern Front and North Africa. Each theater is played in turn. N.A. is first, then the E.F. and finally W.E. Initiative determines who goes first in each front. For example, when the N.A. theater comes up, who goes first? Is it Nazi Germany or the Allies? (the allies being the U.K. and the U.S.) Initiative is gained by earning initiative points by winning battles and taking strategic locations (like Tobruk). If you have more initiative points than your opponent, you’ll have the initiative that turn. If you attack poorly and he defends well you may well loose the initiative to him on the next round. It’s a great way to give a solid 1, 2 punch. Now, onto my problem… The more initiative points you have obviously means the better you and your forces are doing and the worse off your opponent is doing. What I want in the game are unavoidable occurrences (both positive and negative) to happen. I.E. if Germany is really on the receiving end for a long time and the Soviets built up a great initiative, I want the player to have to experience what I call The Neurotic Führer Mistakes. For example,
Quote:
The Neurotic Führer Mistake #1. Or… “Strength lies not in defense but in attack! A single blow must destroy the enemy... without regard of losses... a gigantic all-destroying blow!" If Germany find itself without the initiative in all three theaters (i.e. loosing the war) on the beginning of Germanys next turn, the German player must roll a single D8. On a 3 through 8 the Führer is fine. His generals talked him down and his doctor drugged him up. He blamed a single general, had him shot and now he feels better. On a 1 or a 2 an attack must be made. The German player gets to choose in which theater the attack is made so long as an attack is made that round. The attack must be considerable. No halfhearted attempts. The operation must be named something noteworthy and in German if possible (like Barbarossa — invasion of the Soviet Union or Adlertag — Eagle Day; one day of intense air attack on Britain) and the German player must stand on a chair and yell and scream in mock German (real German if he knows it) to announce the operation to the other players…Okay, we’re kidding about that last part. If the German player wants he can always bring more forces into the battle and attack all along the battle line if he thinks it will help. Good luck.
My intention for these rules is a fun little diversion within the game and also to throw the game off balance so we don’t have the Axis & Allies syndrome of “buy this, this and this on turn 1 and buy this, this and this on turn 2 ad infinitum.” But my trouble is, I simply cant think of anything! I’m having trouble coming up with good causes and good effects. ESPECIALLY for the Allies. What I do have so far are rules taking the US on of the European theater for a short time if they get waxed to such an extent that the public demands more focus on the Pacific (this is a European theater game only by the way). I have 3 rules for the Soviet player, 5 for the German player, 2 for the American player and none for the British player. All of them negative effects so far. I cant think of any positive effects for having a high initiative either. If you’d like me to post more rules so you can get a better understanding, I’d be glad to. I’d do it now but this post is long enough as it is. Any help would be appreciated guys. This is the best place to ask. You’re my last hope ;) Thanks in advance. Charles

Advertisement
Well for the Allies, especially for the U.S. there wasn't as much national willpower to go to war. So you might want to model that in some way. However if the U.S. was not at war they could provide Britain and the Soviets with points to spend to model the Lend-Lease act, perhaps subject to certain restrictions on what you can buy.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!