• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CAPE

Information from Indexbuffers

This topic is 4222 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all! This is my first topic at Gamedev.net, and i think it will be many more after this one :). So, the first question here will be: Is it possible to get the information out from indexbuffers ? I know how to get the information out from the vertexbuffer, but now I need to get the information (the numbers) out from the indexbuffer to. (I need it to calculate the trimesh data in ODE - Open Dynamics Engine). I guessed it would be the same way as when i gather the information from the vertexbuffer, but I come up with fuc*ed values. int* I; m_Sphere.m_SphereModel->GetIndexBuffer()->Lock(0, 0, (void**)&I, 0); for(int i = 0; i < "size of indexbuffer"; i++) { MyArray = *I; } m_Sphere.m_SphereModel->GetIndexBuffer()->Unlock(); //BUT //MyArray[0] = 65000!!! And this i wrong :P When I try to gather the info, I begin to lock the buffer with a correct pointer, then I go through the whole buffer and saves all the values in a array. But, the first value that i get in the array dosn't match up with the one in the xfile. (the value i get is 65000+, so im pretty sure it's wrong.) Am I doing it wrong, or is it not possible to get the values from the indexbuffer. Thanks for any help. PS: If anyone would give me a hint in how to write "codelike" code here, it would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Hi, welcome to GameDev.Net [smile]

To do code-like code, you use [ source ] [ /source ] tags.

As for your problem, it's likely that the index data is 16-bit, and an int is 32-bit. If you change int* I; to unsigned short* I;, it should work.

If it's possible to get the index data in some other way, not going through D3D, you should prefer that. Locking any resource for reading is pretty expensive.

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
As for your problem, it's likely that the index data is 16-bit, and an int is 32-bit. If you change int* I; to unsigned short* I;, it should work.
Just as an additional option, the VStudio compilers allow unsigned __int16 and unsigned __int32 quantities - the more standard short/int/long measures are more portable but equally there is a bit of room for them to change between compilers. I prefer explicitly marking them __int16 or __int32 as it becomes immediately obvious what width they are...

Oh, and for the 32bit vs 16bit - you can query the index buffer for a description and check the format againt D3DFMT_INDEX16 or D3DFMT_INDEX32. I then tend to generalize my index-buffer code using templates:

<template T>
void ManipulateIndices( T** ppData );

if( D3DFMT_INDEX16 == ibDesc.Format )
ManipulateIndices< unsigned __int16 >( reintpret_cast< unsigned __int16** >( ibData ) );
else if( D3DFMT_INDEX32 == ibDesc.Format )
ManipulateIndices< unsigned __int32 >( reintpret_cast< unsigned __int32** >( ibData ) );

May or may not be of any use [smile]

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!