• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
d000hg

[java] Very simple rendering loop?

This topic is 4216 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm new to Java and while I have some resources, I don't at the moment have time to investigate properly what all these Applets and JFrames and stuff do. All I want to do is get a quick & dirty application which runs a classic render-loop like this:
while(notOver())
{
 Update();
 Repaint();
}
I am happy to mangle my way through painting stuff to the screen, but it's getting the skeleton app together where I'm confused. If it can be done in just a few lines I'd welcome an example, otherwise a link to a very simple tutorial - I just want a window which gets repainted in a loop. Later I'll want to do it on a timer but for now just a flat-out while() loop is fine. Thankyou for any suggestions.

Advertisement
The Java tutorials has a section on this in the part about Full-Screen Exclusive Mode. It's here, http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial ( sorry, don't know how to make it link )

Otherwise, I would avoid using repaint(), if by that you mean you're forcing a paint message into the event queue, to eventually call the Applet/Frame's paint method, especially if you eventually set your loop up on a timer. If you're using it that way, you don't get a consistent framerate, because repaint() doesn't automatically call paint.

Of course, if you have a function Repaint() [ with capital R ], then you would have to have setIgnoreRepaint( true ) somewhere in your constructor or initialization code, because the Repaint() function would have something like this

Graphics g = getGraphics();
// drawing code
g.dispose()

and if your window decides it should be repainted at the same time your calling your Repaint() function, you'd have thread-lock

I think I found something:
import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import javax.swing.*;

public class simplegraphics extends JFrame
{
public simplegraphics()
{
setVisible(true);
setSize(300,200);
}
public void paint(Graphics g)
{
}
public static void main(String args[])
{
simplegraphics SG = new simplegraphics();
while(true)
{
if(step%500000==0)//the number 500000 doesn't matter but a smaller number will make the
//animation, not the ball, speed up.
{
SG.repaint();
}
}
}
}

[Edited by - d000hg on January 27, 2007 3:32:10 AM]

I think you're describing the problem I have where closing the window leaves java.exe running, taking 100% of the CPU? How can I fix this most easily - this is a very simple app just to let me view a simulation, not anything ever being used elsewhere, so any solution that works is great.

Since you're using a JFrame, you can use setDefaultCloseOperation( EXIT_ON_CLOSE ) , in the constructor, and then when you click on the X in the title bar the program will close.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!