• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

F#?

This topic is 4092 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What's F#? I've heard the name, but don't know any more about it. The # would seem to indicate .Net, but I don't know any programming language called or starting with F that it could be a port of. I suppose it might involve (F)unctional programming. Anybody know anything?

Advertisement
It's basically OCaml.NET. (Not precisely. There are significant language differences from OCaml.) I haven't messed with it yet, but it looks sexy. Clicky.

Has anyone tried playing with it? I've only written an hello world style app in it, and couldn't do more since I have no idea how it works.. :p

Quote:
Original post by DvDmanDT
Has anyone tried playing with it? I've only written an hello world style app in it, and couldn't do more since I have no idea how it works.. :p

Since I really like OCaml, I decided to try it out, but I didn't really like it. There's little documentation for the language-specific features, and the object system is extrememly confusing. At least APress plans to print a few books on it.

According to Wiki, C# AND F# are going to be XNA compatible!
I guess VB.net doesn't get to join the group because its name isn't an alphabetical character followed by the # sign [grin]

Quote:
Original post by programwizard
Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
According to Wiki, C# AND F# are going to be XNA compatible!

F# XNA tutorial, if anyone's interested. I couldn't get that code to run, though.

Quote:
Original post by Microsoft
Step 1: Download and install Visual C# Express: Visual C# Express Home Page

Step 2: Download and install XNA Game Studio Express: XNA Game Studio Express Home Page

Step 3: Download and install F#: F# Home Page

Note: These articles are for F# version 1.1.13.8. Earlier version's won't work, later versions might work.

You sure you have the right version?

Quote:
Original post by DvDmanDT

I've played with F# a lot and it is an utterly awesome language!

Check out my F# demos here:

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/dotnet/fsharp/index.html?gamedev

I'm writing more all the time. I'm also writing a book on F# which should be published by Wiley later this year. There are two others being published by APress as well.

My favourite aspect of F# has to be the ability to do real-time interactive 3D visualisation from the interactive sessions.

Cheers,
Jon.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!