F#?

Started by
13 comments, last by jdh302 17 years, 1 month ago
What's F#? I've heard the name, but don't know any more about it. The # would seem to indicate .Net, but I don't know any programming language called or starting with F that it could be a port of. I suppose it might involve (F)unctional programming. Anybody know anything?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I program in C++, on MSVC++ '05 Express, and on Windows. Most of my programs are also for windows.
Advertisement
It's basically OCaml.NET. (Not precisely. There are significant language differences from OCaml.) I haven't messed with it yet, but it looks sexy. Clicky.
Wikipedia can be your friend... F Sharp programming language.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Has anyone tried playing with it? I've only written an hello world style app in it, and couldn't do more since I have no idea how it works.. :p
Quote:Original post by DvDmanDT
Has anyone tried playing with it? I've only written an hello world style app in it, and couldn't do more since I have no idea how it works.. :p

Since I really like OCaml, I decided to try it out, but I didn't really like it. There's little documentation for the language-specific features, and the object system is extrememly confusing. At least APress plans to print a few books on it.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
According to Wiki, C# AND F# are going to be XNA compatible!
I guess VB.net doesn't get to join the group because its name isn't an alphabetical character followed by the # sign [grin]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes

F# XNA tutorial, if anyone's interested. I couldn't get that code to run, though.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Quote:Original post by programwizard
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes

F# XNA tutorial, if anyone's interested. I couldn't get that code to run, though.

Quote:Original post by Microsoft
Step 1: Download and install Visual C# Express: Visual C# Express Home Page

Step 2: Download and install XNA Game Studio Express: XNA Game Studio Express Home Page

Step 3: Download and install F#: F# Home Page

Note: These articles are for F# version 1.1.13.8. Earlier version's won't work, later versions might work.

You sure you have the right version?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by DvDmanDT

I've played with F# a lot and it is an utterly awesome language!

Check out my F# demos here:

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/dotnet/fsharp/index.html?gamedev

I'm writing more all the time. I'm also writing a book on F# which should be published by Wiley later this year. There are two others being published by APress as well.

My favourite aspect of F# has to be the ability to do real-time interactive 3D visualisation from the interactive sessions.

Cheers,
Jon.
+1 F#

The awesomeness of OCaml, the libraries of .NET
Anthony Umfer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement