F#?

Started by
13 comments, last by jdh302 17 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by jdh302
Quote:Original post by DvDmanDT
Has anyone tried playing with it? I've only written an hello world style app in it, and couldn't do more since I have no idea how it works.. :p

I've played with F# a lot and it is an utterly awesome language!

Check out my F# demos here:

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/dotnet/fsharp/index.html?gamedev

I'm writing more all the time. I'm also writing a book on F# which should be published by Wiley later this year. There are two others being published by APress as well.

My favourite aspect of F# has to be the ability to do real-time interactive 3D visualisation from the interactive sessions.

Cheers,
Jon.

Your book looks interesting! When is your release date? And will it be available outside the U.S? ^^
Best regards, Omid
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Omid Ghavami
I'm also writing a book on F# which should be published by Wiley later this year. There are two others being published by APress as well.

My favourite aspect of F# has to be the ability to do real-time interactive 3D visualisation from the interactive sessions.

Cheers,
Jon.

Your book looks interesting! When is your release date? And will it be available outside the U.S? ^^

Seconded! A more exact release date please? Your website was one of the main reasons I started learning OCaml [smile]

Quote:Original post by Muhammad Haggag
Quote:Original post by Omid Ghavami
I'm also writing a book on F# which should be published by Wiley later this year. There are two others being published by APress as well.

Cheers,
Jon.

Seconded! A more exact release date please? Your website was one of the main reasons I started learning OCaml [smile]

Thirded. In case you check back, how much new content is there in the F# book compared to the OCaml book? Is it just the changes in syntax (and minor changes in semantics and concepts) or does it actually differ in what it covers?
Can I just say thanks for the support, guys! I've had a really tough time getting my company off the ground and I'm really happy to hear that people appreciate all of the effort that I've been putting in.

Quote:Original post by CTar
Thirded. In case you check back, how much new content is there in the F# book compared to the OCaml book? Is it just the changes in syntax (and minor changes in semantics and concepts) or does it actually differ in what it covers?

If all goes to plan, the book will be published by Wiley this year. I was going to do a straightforward translation of OCaml for Scientists but Microsoft have commissioned me to do an extra special job.

So F# for Scientists adds lots of new content including design patterns, Windows Forms, DirectX, adaptive tesselation, timing, more libraries (vector-matrix, web, XML, compression), foreign function interface, sexier examples, databases (e.g. the protein databank) and interoperability (with Excel, Mathematica, Matlab and S-Plus). I'm also ripping out all complicated maths and putting in more biological examples.

I really think this is going to be a killer book for anyone interested in .NET and performance.

Cheers,
Jon.
Quote:Original post by Omid GhavamiYour book looks interesting! When is your release date? And will it be available outside the U.S? ^^

I'm English so I jolly well hope it will be available outside the US! ;-)

Cheers,
Jon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement