• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kileran

Pre-Game Engine Development for Terrain/World Dev

This topic is 4105 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Me and some friends have been discussing something for some time. We are in time going to develop a game. I'm not going to say too much about the plans or it's development, but suffice it to say we're in the early stages. However i'm certain there arn't many people trolling these forums looking for ideas to steal, so i'm not going to keep it all entirely secretive either. The more info i do divulge the more help i'm sure i'l get. The game is an MMO, and will be world based similar to EQ2/WOW, but unlike a modular game like Guild Wars. I hope that gives you the same frame of mind that i've got. The part i need help with is the world development. We dont have a 3d Engine chosen yet, but once we do we'l need some info to plug into it. That's one of my skills. I'm going to build the world. I've got a couple of artists at my disposal, but i'm the mapper, builder, architect, that kind of stuff. What program should i use? I've used a lot of 3d programs in the past, all the way back to the Quake 2 map editor in... when was that, 1997? More recently i've used multiple versions of 3ds Max, the torque engine (3d), and other stuff. I had fun with Werksquig, or whatever it was called, but i dont see it working well in a game environment. (it's very fun to use though) It would seem logical to build any static 3d objects in 3dsMax, since it's output formats are so well used, but am i going in the right direction? and what should i be using to map and landscape a global terrain? I'm sure 3ds max wouldn't handle that without a few more gig's of ram. Any Suggestions? [Edited by - kileran on January 27, 2007 12:07:42 AM]

Advertisement
First, I can assure you that your ideas aren't that revolutionary and chances are at least 100 people on Gamedev have thought of them. I'm sorry if that sounded rude, it just amuses me (and I did this too) when people think theyre game is so incredibly revolutionary.

Second, well, I think Torque is a very good choice, especially if you have some experience with it.

By "not so different from WoW or EQ" I dont know what you mean.. EQ2 wasnt seemless at all, and WoW was seemless except for instances. EQ2 also had different aspects than WoW in the sense that terrain severely limited you while WoW was not SO limiting. SWG, if you played that, had about zero limitation terrain wise.

Give us some more info, but so far I am thinking Torque.

If you were asking what program to use to create the actual world/opbjects, well I'd say that right there would be two seperate programs, and one is entirely up to you. I have never tackled a 3d map before, but I'd imagine (could very well be wrong) that I'd make a tool that made maps with an interface into text files in the proper format. What I mean is I'd make a bunch of doodads and such, then an editor that allowed me to place those and alter terrain heights, details, etc, and then it would save it to the format I would like to work with.

I'm sure Torque has something like this already created (I have only worked with it veryyyy briefly, but I hear incredible things about it).

GOod luck on whatever you do!

Edit: Remember, take my advice with a big grain of salt. I am very rusty with graphics, and have not even tackled any serious 3d stuff. What I just suggested could be horrible programming technique or style. Disclaimer over hehe.

Quote:
Original post by kileran
Me and some friends have been discussing something for some time. We are in time going to develop a game. I'm not going to say too much about the plans or it's development, but suffice it to say we're in the early stages.

However i'm certain there arn't many people trolling these forums looking for ideas to steal, so i'm not going to keep it all entirely secretive either. The more info i do divulge the more help i'm sure i'l get.

The game is an MMO, and will be world based similar to EQ2/WOW, but unlike a modular game like Guild Wars. I hope that gives you the same frame of mind that i've got.

The part i need help with is the world development. We dont have a 3d Engine chosen yet, but once we do we'l need some info to plug into it. That's one of my skills. I'm going to build the world. I've got a couple of artists at my disposal, but i'm the mapper, builder, architect, that kind of stuff.

What program should i use? I've used a lot of 3d programs in the past, all the way back to the Quake 2 map editor in... when was that, 1997? More recently i've used multiple versions of 3ds Max, the torque engine (3d), and other stuff. I had fun with Werksquig, or whatever it was called, but i dont see it working well in a game environment. (it's very fun to use though)

It would seem logical to build any static 3d objects in 3dsMax, since it's output formats are so well used, but am i going in the right direction? and what should i be using to map and landscape a global terrain? I'm sure 3ds max wouldn't handle that without a few more gig's of ram.

Any Suggestions?

Terrain is/can be relatively easy (heightmaps...). Freeform mesh terraun is not too hard. Populating it with objects is harder (much more detailed objects are alot of work to make). Animated figures are far harder. Not just the figures (you can buy human bone rigged figures (and clothing etc...) but animations for all the game actions are ALOT of work to create.

Quote:
Original post by Crazyfool
By "not so different from WoW or EQ" I dont know what you mean.. EQ2 wasnt seemless at all, and WoW was seemless except for instances. EQ2 also had different aspects than WoW in the sense that terrain severely limited you while WoW was not SO limiting. SWG, if you played that, had about zero limitation terrain wise.

Your absolutely right, i should have said SWG/WOW, because i am wanting the entire game to be a sprawling mass that pre-load's based on your position.

Unlike SWG though, i'l have a REAL Z-axis in the game. SWG was in fact a 2D map, height had no effect on anything (hence no falling damage)

One of our coders has experience with torque, and loves it. I'm take a look at it today and see if it can build the terrain i need, on the scale i need it, without hogging MASSIVE resources.

Thanks for the advice guys, i'l take lots more if you have it.

Torque already has an MMO add on pack which will help you get started with server-client, database, inventories and such which might be helpful. However I do not know if it works with the advanced version of the torque engine (TGEA/TSE depending what you call it).

The basic torque engine will not support what you want, and wouldn't support it without a lot of work, by which point you might as well have used the free torque networking code with ogre3D or something like that.

The new terrain in TSE called Atlas however fully supports paging zones in and out to create seamless terrain.

I've done a lot of research since starting this thread, and i'm thinking atlas is the best way to go as well.

The problem is that the TGEA demo doesn't have a demo of atlas in it, and it's something a lot of people want to see before they buy it.

Have you actually seen/used atlas?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!