Trouble with member functions

Started by
3 comments, last by hereticprophecy 17 years, 2 months ago
Question: Is <iostream> unavailable when declaring the members of a class? Today has been my first day working with classes, and until a few minutes ago, it was going great. After declaring a few classes and fiddling with values, constructors, instantialization, and pointers, I attempted to make a master class that used another class as a member. Here's where it got hairy: all have worked great except one, the class holding information on each possible race for the character in question.
class Character {
	string First_Name, Surname, Player_Name;
	Base_Stat Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha;
	Race Race_;
public:
	Character ();
	void Generator () {
		int a;

cout << "Please enter your character's first name.\n";
		cin >> First_Name;
		cout << "Until your character earns one, he/she will have no surname.\n";
		cout << "What is they player's name?\n";
		cin >> Player_Name;
		cout << "Please choose your race.\n";
		cout << "1.)Human\n2.)Elf\n3.)Dwarf\n4.)Halfling\n5.)Gnome\n6.)Half-Orc\n7.)Half-Elf\n";

switch (a) {
			case 1: {
				Race_ = Human;
				break;
					}
			case 2: {
				Race_ = Elf;
				break;
					}
			case 3: {
				Race_ = Dwarf;
				break;
					}
			case 4: {
				Race_ = Halfling;
				break;
					}
			case 5: {
				Race_ = Gnome;
				break;
					}
			case 6: {
				Race_ = Half_Orc;
				break;
					}
			case 7: {
				Race_ = Half_Elf;
				break;
					}
		}
	}
};
Character::Character() {
	First_Name = " ";
	Surname = " ";
	Player_Name = " ";
};
...is my declaration and construct for the Character's primary class, along with the function that's been bothering me, void Generator(). During compilation, I get two very long errors... error C2679: binary '>>' : no operator found which takes a right-hand operand of type 'std::string' (or there is no acceptable conversion), and both correspond to the standard inputs I have for customizing the character's name and the player's name. I'm gonna continue to fiddle and see what I can figure out, but any insight would be greatly appreciated: I'm new to classes and I could very well be doing something stupid.
Advertisement
Did you #include<string> as well ?
Additionally - purely on stylistic and practical grounds, consider moving Generator outside the class, as you have with the constructor. Putting functions in the class body like that is rarely done in C++ unless it's a template or a very short inline function.
Checklist:

1) have you #included <iostream>?
2) have you #included <string>?
3) have you specified using namespace std?

On (3)... as a general guideline, using directives in headers are bad practice, because it can affects files that #include the header without you realising it, which can lead to subtle bugs with unintended consequences. So, assuming this is a header file (I guess it might be a CPP file), it would be better to change that third point to:

3) have you specified std::cout, std::cin, and std::string?

I must admit, at first I thought it was this that was causing it; but the error message clearly states std::string. So I'm going to guess it's number 1 that's the fault. Certainly, the principle of what you are attempting to do is fine.
When I said it was possible I was doing something stupid, I didn't realize I could actually miss #include <string>. Can't say I've ever made a mistake like that in the 3 years I've been programming. Thanks for the help, she's running beautifully now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement