• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Entheo

Function Object Question

This topic is 4221 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I don't think my issue is too complicated - I just don't know what i'm doing. I have a vector of objects. I want to perform an operation on the vector to do this: if any object in this vector has a variable named id equal to NUM delete object from vector and resize the vector so that there are no discontiguous elements. -------------------------------------------------------------------- To illustrate: vector abcd = {a, b, c, d} abcd.erase(element_2 if element_2.ID == NUM) Lets say element_2.ID does equal NUM. I then want my vector to look like this: abcd = {a,c,d}. --------------------------------------------------------------------- I believe the way to do it is something like this:
template\<class Arg1, class Arg2, class Result>
struct equal_to : public std::binary_function<Arg1, Arg2, Result>
{
   bool operator() (const Arg1& arg1, const Arg2& arg2)
   {
      return (arg1.getID()) == arg2;
   }
};
vec.erase(remove_if(vec.begin(), vec.end(), std::bind2nd(equal_to<Object, int, bool>(), NUM) vec.end())

I've never used templates or function objects before though, so I need some guidance. Thanks.

Advertisement
Since you're using the STL, try using:

remove_copy_if (src_begin, src_end, dest_begin, predicate);

Skizz

Thanks, but I don't know how to make a predicate to do what I want to do. That is my problem. And I know the predicate doesn't have to be a function object but I'd like it to be :D

One of the problems with my above code is that I'm deriving from a binary function object and i think remove_if needs a unary_function...

Quote:
Original post by Entheo
One of the problems with my above code is that I'm deriving from a binary function object and i think remove_if needs a unary_function...
remove_if() does require a unary function (specifically a predicate), but the use of bind2nd meets this requirement.

Here's a working example of what (I think) you're trying to do:

#include <iostream>
#include <vector>
#include <algorithm>
#include <iterator>

using namespace std; // Just to make writing this example go a little faster :)

struct Test {
Test() {}
Test(int value) : value(value) {}
int Value() const { return value; }
private:
int value;
};

ostream& operator<<(ostream& os, const Test& test) { return os << test.Value(); }

void print(const vector<Test>& v) {
copy(v.begin(), v.end(), ostream_iterator<Test>(cout, " "));
cout << endl;
}

struct generator {
generator() : count(0) {}
Test operator()() { return Test(count++); }
private:
size_t count;
};

struct value_matches : public binary_function<Test, int, bool> {
bool operator()(const Test& test, int value) const { return test.Value() == value; }
};

struct value_greater : public binary_function<Test, int, bool> {
bool operator()(const Test& test, int value) const { return test.Value() > value; }
};

int main()
{
vector<Test> v(10);
generate(v.begin(), v.end(), generator());
print(v);
v.erase(remove_if(v.begin(), v.end(), bind2nd(value_matches(), 3)), v.end());
print(v);
v.erase(remove_if(v.begin(), v.end(), bind2nd(value_greater(), 6)), v.end());
print(v);
}

It may not be perfect, stylistically speaking, but it does compile and appears to work correctly.

I didn't examine your code carefully, but it looks like you have the right general idea. Some more information would be useful though (e.g. error messages if it's a compile-time error, or a description of the program's behavior if it's a run-time error).

boost::bind is very useful here:

#include <boost/bind.hpp>

/* ... */

int main()
{
using boost::bind;

vector<Test> v(10);
generate(v.begin(), v.end(), generator());
print(v);
v.erase(remove_if(v.begin(), v.end(), bind(&Test::Value, _1) == 3, v.end());
print(v);
v.erase(remove_if(v.begin(), v.end(), bind(&Test::Value, _1) > 6, v.end());
print(v);
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!