• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dragon_Strike

geomipmaps and level normals

This topic is 4308 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im havin some trouble with my geomipmaps implementation... i have just gone from DL to VBOs.... im using a single vetexbuffer for the entireterrain... and then use one indexbuffer for each block and that blocks each level... but one problem im facing is that each level has different normals, due to the fact that vertex have been removed.. i need accurate normals for parallax mapping... another problem is that each level has different morph distances... how can i solve this?

Advertisement
Quote:

What about having a separate normal map that is independent of the LOD?

To be verbose, I think John's talking about having a normal map with normals in object space, as opposed to tangent space. It's a good idea I think :)

I'm curious as to why you would you want to bump or parallax map a chunk of terrain that is at a lower LOD? Those effects (parallax especially) are pretty expensive and using them on distant terrain that may not be taking up much screen space could not only cause noticeable artefacts but would also be (in my opinion) such a waste of GPU time. [smile]

Of course, if you have your reasons, then I believe with Geoclipmapping, the normals are stored in textures and blended/interpolated between detail levels. You could apply this same method of generating normals for your own Geomipmap. So I am essentially seconding John's suggestion of normal maps [wink]

All the best,
ViLiO

well i guess ill just try it out... the main reason i want parallax mapping is to add ground detail

EDIT: there is however one problem with using texture... i need to do two extra vertex texture fetches per vertex... on for the normal and one for calculating the tangent

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!